Polystyrene coving

Is there some science to how the coving sits in the makita mitre saw before it is cut? I am guessing this will affect the fit too.

I had naively assumed that I can lay it flat and cut as per angle bevel used on the wall!

Sponsored Links
No, you must position it the same way as it should then be glued.
Have a look if you find online videos, you're going on real basics here.
Sorry to say

Sorry. Never done anything like this before and seen some conflicting videos. On the straight and narrow now I think...

To make it simple, you have to imagine that the saw plate is the wall and the vertical raiser is the ceiling.
So place the coving as it would go on your room and imagine a 45 degree cut as you would see it in finished.
Then set the blade angle.
Basically you have to imagine the saw to be tilted 90 degrees towards you so that the plate is your wall.
I try to make a sketch...

Sponsored Links
There you go.
Hopefully it's clearer.

Attachments

• 20191028_215312.jpg
    20191028_215312.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 81
This is what I did years ago when i had to do lots of coving.
Not worth for a couple of rooms really

I have never liked polystyrene coving, it always looks like what it is. I used plaster coving throughout, with pins hammered in above and below, to support it until the adhesive went off.

Got to agree, but last time i fit coving, the polystyrene was of a tough consistency, matched by the price paid by the landlord.
It was nice to work with , lightweight and had a finish which looked like primer.
Took the paint perfectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back