Cover boxing as fake wood beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,

Does anyone have any advice / tips about how I might cover some boxing to make it look like a wooden beam? In my head, I'm imagining some sort of facade / thin wood attached to each side to give it a fake wooden beam look.

I've no idea what the boxing is covering (assume it's an RSJ). Also, I would be pulling off the coving.

PXL_20220904_172618334.jpg

PXL_20220904_172607641.jpg

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You'll need to remove the coving first. After that rough sawn timber cam]=n be fixed to the original plasterboard (this may be needed to meet fire regs - not sure about the building, single occupancy, etc) then "attacked with an angle grinder can look effective once stained. Alternatively, fix a second layer of plasterboard to the first with rough edges and add more stiff plaster with a bit of Artex mixed in and sculpt that to the required shape and maybe use a stick to "draw" wood grain in the paster. Paint as required. You'll need to pick-up the original positions of the timber soldiers or timber laths that the existing PB is fixed to. Both techniques are use commercially

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back