Cover hole in cast iron soil pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a hole in my cast iron soil pipe. Fortunately it's well above where any, er, material would be. I had planned to get the whole thing replaced but when the plumber came around to do it he told me it was actually in pretty good shape and didn't need to be done. However it does have this hole, and I wonder if I should do something to cover it.

I have no idea what caused the hole. My best guess is it was damaged by some scaffolding we had up a couple of years ago and I just didn't notice it. There was old black paint with a bit of a bubble in it covering the spot until the plumber came to inspect it and knocked it off.

Attachments

• IMG20231002134108.jpg
    IMG20231002134108.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
looks more like a hole in a lead pipe to me ?

You can use a metal epoxy repair putty which, with a gauze patch over the hole will bond and cover the hole and can be smoothed flush and then painted to match. Search on the net and it is widely available.

Sponsored Links
Yup ... JB Weld should sort that. Buff around the repair to clean metal then soften the putty with your hands, apply, let harden then sand flat and paint. A little stop rust prep in and around the bare metal prior to filling will help protect it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back