Covering all circuits with rcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a 6 way consumer unit non rcd feeding power/lights etc
Also a 6 way non rcd unit that was feeding storage heating (now sockets)
And a newer rcd unit with one 32a mcb feeding kitchen sockets only
Is it possible / suitable to put the kitchen sockets in one of the other units and after removing the 32a mcb use the rcd unit as protection for the entire installation ?
The three sets of tails are all connected in Henley blocks

If I decide to replace the whole lot with I high integrity unit what would I do with the six 16a old storage heating circuits that are now sockets as I wouldn't want six extra mcbs in a new unit

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it possible / suitable to put the kitchen sockets in one of the other units
Probably not as I presume they are a newer installation and that is why they have been protected by the RCD,

and after removing the 32a mcb use the rcd unit as protection for the entire installation ?
No. No point doing that anyway.

If I decide to replace the whole lot with I high integrity unit what would I do with the six 16a old storage heating circuits that are now sockets as I wouldn't want six extra mcbs in a new unit
You could put them, three each, in two MCBs - assuming you don't use all the sockets for heavy demand items.

Sponsored Links

Probably not as I presume they are a newer installation and that is why they have been protected by the RCD,

and after removing the 32a mcb use the rcd unit as protection for the entire installation ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

the kitchen sockets will still be protected by rcd ? Just moving the circuit to a different unit then protecting that unit as source .

And why no point surely it must be better to use the existing red to protect the entire installation ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

the kitchen sockets will still be protected by rcd ? Just moving the circuit to a different unit then protecting that unit as source .

And why no point surely it must be better to use the existing red to protect the entire installation ?
Who?

'Twas I.

Because it would be better and less work to fit two more RCDs if you are that keen.

RCDs are to protect people rather than the installation.

I would get all of that replaced with one, nice new big board personally.

What you propose isn't practical, or even really possible, and tbf, it's not the tidiest installation ever

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back