Covering edge beads & internal soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

After my first attempt of float & set (many moons ago - with help ;) ), the bathroom on the floor above has now been completed and I can close in the soil pipe in its internal cavity in the room below (see pic)

I had used edge beads for the float & set and had positioned them so I could put the large piece of wood back in its original position to cover the gap.
Upon reflection, I think this will look v untidy, so I would like to reconsider and put a piece of 12.5mm wallboard in its place and skim right over the lot (inc the edge beads). I'd secure the wallboard with plasterboard adhesive.

It has been about 1 month since the bathroom was finished and not sign of any leaks on the soil pipe connections.
One of my thoughts is cracking - but if I scrim well with three layers maybe slightly crossing, I'm hoping it would be ok.

I'm not expecting to need to go back in and if I had to pick off the board & re-do/skim, wouldn't be the end of the world.

Is there a problem with this? My other nag is building regs perhaps?

Your views appreciated as always.

Sponsored Links
I don't know about the building regs side of things Newbee, but i reckon the 12.5mm wallboard idea would work no problem. I'd bed the board in place, scrim the joints either side, (over the stop bead) onto the wall, just as you said, then when it's ready, skim over the whole wall.

Roughcaster.

Thanks for the reply r/c.

I suspect when I get the wallboard on, it will be higher than the stop bead, but I guess a tight coat of Bonding either side should bring them level first and make the skim easier.
Will ensure the scrim covers the bead also as suggested.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back