Covering expansion gap skirting (1)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I had a quick search and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
Fitted engineering wood floor (4mm) veneer. I have an expansion gap normally around 10mm but at most 20 in places before I got my eye in! I was hoping to avoid scotia and my skirting is a few mm shy. So do I just buy thicker skirting stuff I have is about 13mm and maybe a bit Naff? or can I angle the skirting a little to cover the gap. Does that sound like a proper bodge? It certainly sounds it!
20211026_182208.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi
I had a quick search and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
Fitted engineering wood floor (4mm) veneer. I have an expansion gap normally around 10mm but at most 20 in places before I got my eye in!

I was hoping to avoid scotia and my skirting is a few mm shy. So do I just buy thicker skirting stuff I have is about 13mm and maybe a bit Naff? or can I angle the skirting a little to cover the gap. Does that sound like a proper bodge? It certainly sounds it!

View attachment 248473

Sponsored Links
Compraband.I've used dark brown, black and grey on jobs where we needed to form a neat edge against a raw brick wall. Not sure if they can match your colour

You need to put your skirting over the floor or effectively you have filled up your expansion gap.

If I am brutally honest you should refit those boards where it won't cover it, doing it now whilst you are motivated is the best bet. Anything else will look naff as you say and you'll be stuck with it.

whats the gap like on the opposit side if its less then "jumping" the floor across to average the floor over with your grippiest trainers may be an option
10mm wandering to perhaps 14mm is all you would expect knowing skirting is perhaps 15 or 16mm
greater thickness would be my choice but architrave thickness may scupper that idea or involve plinth blocks or other solutions :LOL:

How thick is the gap and skirting?
ie How much extra thickness is required at worst case scenario?

You could buy finished strip wood and fix it to the top back of the skirting. then add the same to the bottom, or smaller blocks of the same depth.
You could even make use of the gap by making the whole thing removable and usable as a cable route (although possibly not for mains)

If the skirting you have is too blocky looking with the above, various options could create a more tapered top to the skirting.

I managed source some nice oak trim for around the stairs that would cover the gaps but I could also use it against the wall? It won't offer the protection of a skirting though so would most people still put a chunky skirting here or use this?

Thanks

20211124_134752.jpg

I managed source some nice oak trim for around the stairs that would cover the gaps but I could also use it against the wall? It won't offer the protection of a skirting though so would most people still put a chunky skirting here or use this?

If that quadrant is made from plastic faced fibre, it is horrible stuff. The first time it sees any moisture, it will bulge, distort and the face will peel off. For the important rooms, the laminate needs to be under the skirting lip. For less important rooms, I found an entirely plastic quadrant strip intended for double gazing use works best, though colour choice is limited. Eurocell sell it and it is really cheap, much cheaper that the horrible fibre quadrant strip.

If that quadrant is made from plastic faced fibre, it is horrible stuff. The first time it sees any moisture, it will bulge, distort and the face will peel off. For the important rooms, the laminate needs to be under the skirting lip. For less important rooms, I found an entirely plastic quadrant strip intended for double gazing use works best, though colour choice is limited. Eurocell sell it and it is really cheap, much cheaper that the horrible fibre quadrant strip.
It's actually solid Oak!

Maybe your aware that possible signs of rising damp are shadow wall patches and bubbled paint/skim? You seem tohave both. Plus some plaster cracks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back