Quick Fix - Skirting Boards To Cover Existing Expansion Gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys,

Just some advice or pointers needed for the following if possible.

Recently had some real wood flooring laid in my hall and lounge - very nice wood and rather than lift the skirting boards before hand I opted for beading / scotia to go around expansion gaps after (reason being I had recently decorated walls and didnt want to risk pulling off plaster and the like from taking off skirting) . I've now decided I don't really like the beading and would prefer just the skirting boards. I'm not bothered about taking off the beading but is there any cheapish fix for covering the expansion gaps? I've seen some "Hideaway skirting boards" from Homebase which are fatter than ordinary skirting but at £16 for 2 metres this is going to be costly.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Nick

Sponsored Links
You might consider taking off the skirting boards, and putting battens on the wall, then refixing the skirting to the battens. This will space out the skirting by the thickness of the battens.

What is your reason for not liking the beading? The colour match? The fitting/look? I attend alot of jobs where consumer is not happy with the beading and i can see why when i see how the fitter has fitted it. Also with colour to. If you have hardwood flooring you should have hardwood beading to match. Not mdf covered in a picture of hardwood looking very cheap against your hardwood floor. One thing i will say is that what you want to try and do will end up looking worse in my eyes. Your skirting / beading, whatever you use will end up sticking out into room past archives and stopping doors opening properly and all types. let me know what it is about the beading you dont like and i will give you tips on how to improve it.

Sponsored Links
Hi all

Thanks for your replies.

Not sure why I don't really like the beading. The beading itself is as close to the hard wood floor colour as I could find. It's not MDF - I got it from Homebase and I think it's just called edging. Don't get me wrong it looks ok, it's just when you see advertisements etc in the papers, the wood floor just blends straight into the wall - if that makes sense?

I nwhat way do you mean attachb atterns to the wall - will this not leave some kind of gaps when you attach back the skirting boards?

Many Thanks
Nick

the problem you have is theres no chance of any skirting covering the gap and looking decent as it would be over an inch wide

my suggestions when people arn't shure what they wan't is to go to the wooden quaudrent route and paint it the same colour as the skirting assuming its pine
9 out of 10 are happy with this as when you by it from your wood yard you can get it in over 4m lengths and at around 50p a meter puts a smile on there face ;)

I just fitted some click flooring in the shop and finished it with some stained strips from my local trade center and it looks fine as big Al says ;)

Or you add some 2"x1" at the top of your skirting so that it holds it out from the wall which I have also done to cover ground level pipes...

big-all said:
the problem you have is theres no chance of any skirting covering the gap and looking decent as it would be over an inch wide

my suggestions when people arn't shure what they wan't is to go to the wooden quaudrent route and paint it the same colour as the skirting assuming its pine
9 out of 10 are happy with this as when you by it from your wood yard you can get it in over 4m lengths and at around 50p a meter puts a smile on there face ;)

i agree with this. I tend to talk people into painting pine wood beading after install. Always looks good if fitted correctly.

Cheers guys,

I've since discovered the beading is MDF but the colour / texture does blend quite well with my flooring. If I am to paint the beading then I guess it doesn't matter if it's MDF?

Failing that - these wood quadrants you can get at the wood yards - do they really make a difference? if so I make trake a look tomorrow if I can get time off of my ever busy rennovation lifestyle!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back