Covering gap around flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to work out how to reduce/cover the hole in the ceiling where the boiler flue goes. There's about a 2cm gap all the way around the pipe. Hopefully you can see what I mean in the photo.

I wondered if there was some kind of collar that could be installed around the flue, flush against the ceiling. Do you know of any solution please? The boiler is a Worcester Greenstar 25i ErP condensing combi, if that's relevant.

Attachments

• 20220214_160000-1.jpg
    20220214_160000-1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 296
Sponsored Links
Is that a loft above? If so, you could always secure x2 pieces of plasterboard either side and then use filler on the room ceiling side?

Sponsored Links
these are quite good -

https://www.toolstation.com/fluesnug/p94308

Just cut it along one edge, push over the flue and then push up.

Thanks for that. I thought there must be something, but didn't know what they might be called.

Have you actually (successfully!) used that method of installation, or is it just a guess that it might be possible? I worry that either the thing won't bend enough for me to get it around the flue, or that I'll break it trying to do it. I don't see why they couldn't make them in two semi-circular halves you screw together. That seems way more obvious, to me.

They're meant to be fitted as the flue is installed so is pushed over the flue before it is connected to the boiler, or over the terminal from the outside.

An easier way may be to get just a normal white flue collar and cut that, then it just twists and fits over the flue too, then a little silicone or similar would just stick it flat to the plasterboard, they're dead soft and pliable
th

Assuming it’s a vertical flue they used to come with one of these.

https://www.plumbarena.co.uk/produc...cPVUQg-gZJWcTeGxAZ8aAto8EALw_wcB#.Ygx7kC-nyfA

it’s supposed to be fitted for fire protection
Oh, lovely. Yet another thing the cowboys fscked up!

Yes, the flue is vertical. I live in a bungalow and it goes up through the ceiling, into the loft, and then through the roof.

Thanks, I'll look into getting one fitted. Or is it a possible DIY job? It looks like it's two separate pieces that "just" (I so love that word when connected to DIY, especially in this house that seems to have been built of bodges) get put together in place to do the job. If it involves removing the flue then I'd need someone in, but even I can screw a couple of plates up!

Oh, lovely. Yet another thing the cowboys fscked up!

Yes, the flue is vertical. I live in a bungalow and it goes up through the ceiling, into the loft, and then through the roof.

Thanks, I'll look into getting one fitted. Or is it a possible DIY job? It looks like it's two separate pieces that "just" (I so love that word when connected to DIY, especially in this house that seems to have been built of bodges) get put together in place to do the job. If it involves removing the flue then I'd need someone in, but even I can screw a couple of plates up!

No you literally slide one either side of the flue so they overlap each other and screw them up (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back