covering gas cooker pipe to tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Think i posted in the wrong section before..

my gas cooker line has been moved. The pipe is laid into a concrete channel 8-10cm in width and will have more than 25mm in depth from the finishing level. It has a 10mm thick round foam covering on it. My plan is to fit under floor heating and then a self level compound, then tile using ceramic or porcelain.

1. I presume the channel should be covered/bridged to support the tile/protect the pipe from impact and adhesive ? is stainless steel sheeting ok? 1.5mm thick/ 16 guage.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well, that bit sounds like it could be ok but it's hard to give advice because there are several other things you'd have to be getting right with a gas pipe.

Hi Chris thanks. I've got some pics. Hopefully more info would help.. I could use the plastic square trunking over the pipe(22mm x 3.6m length) and leave one end under the cooker open - 6 inch square area or more if needed - so its just foam. No tiles or metal either. So it would be ventilated.
The pipe originates from underneath a wood floor which is also ventilated - normal house vents. Then i would use the 16 gauge metal sheet and tape this down before Self levelling, making sure nothing seeps into the channel. sound ok ?

The slight problem that I see is that metal is not supported on anything apart from the foam.

Not that that is likely to give any problem but not ideal.

I would wonder if covering it with lean mix concrete might not be better?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony, I guess you mean putting it in trunking then filling the channel with the lean mix. I understand that cement can be corrosive to copper. The concrete surface is higher than the trunking. How lean do you think ? a wet sand cement mix.. so it gets underneath the trunking.

As long as the tile is supported and i can use electric underfloor heating then its the solution i've been looking for. Obviously i don't want to fall foul of the regulations. I could also cut the mat so it sits around the channel. Thank you.

Hi, i emailed gas safe register. The reply is below. I read this in an older thread. Is it strictly a no then ? or is the definition of buried unclear..

8.16.3 Electrical services

Care shall be taken not to damage any electrical conductor when installing pipework.

Installation pipes shall not be buried in floors together with electrical underfloor heating, unless the

underfloor heating has been physically and permanently disconnected.

bump , does the trunking and weak concrete mix in the channel sound ok then ? The pipe is earthed and will have ventilation on both ends. The pipe in the trunking area has a joint, it is soldiered.

What is the main problem here .. The underfloor heating passing electricity onto the gas pipe ? The two will be totally isolated from each other. cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back