Covering My Mastic Asphalt Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I do not believe that you can paint over mastic asphalt as such. Like you can paint on, say, concrete. I'd love to paint over the asphalt (which has the odd patch here and there of concrete in it, caused when I removed some fire hearths) and create a nice even-coloured surface, but as I say, don't think that's an option. Anyway, what I think most people do is place lino over the asphalt. I'm not sure whether to adhere lino to the asphalt by using a latex compound. Maybe I should just lay down the lino and leave it at that. Your thoughts appreciated. Thank you. Rich

Sponsored Links
Looking at the net I would say have a look at Zinsser site - not cheap stuff though. Also search for poster "Vinn " here on Diynot - bit of an expert on assphalt back in the day.;)

Hi. Thanks for the heads-up. OK, I see that if I paint, the key to it is the primer. Get the primer right and you can paint on bitumen or asphalt. If we are talking of products by Zinsser the primer would be "Bulls Eye® 1-2-3 Primer Sealer". After priming, you would decorate. That's what I'm getting from the Zinsser website. The recommended decoration is Zinsser Perma-White® Interior Matt, Satin or Semi-Gloss. But I don't think you would be expected to walk on top those recommended decorations. Which would be OK, if one tops the lot with lino. Painting then would be more of an aesthetic exercise. Which is perhaps what I have in mind anyway.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back