Covering soot - how to stain block?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all
Have recently had a kitchen fire, the ceilings and walls are pretty black despite being cleaned!
What do I need to apply to the affected areas to prevent the black seeping through?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Zinsser B-I-N is the best at covering soot stains, and will also seal the smell of the smoke, but is a pain to apply over large areas. Their Coverstain product works well on milder soot stains, is easier to apply and a good bit cheaper, but doesn't have the same kind of odour blocking powers. Alkali resistant primer is also good but B-I-N is now the most popular option for its all round problem solving capabilities and super fast drying times (which is what makes it tricky to apply).

Before smelly special sealers came along it was oil-based undercoat, on a small roller. Not that it doesn't stink, but it doesn't make you high!

Zinsser B-I-N is the best at covering soot stains, and will also seal the smell of the smoke, but is a pain to apply over large areas. Their Coverstain product works well on milder soot stains, is easier to apply and a good bit cheaper, but doesn't have the same kind of odour blocking powers. Alkali resistant primer is also good but B-I-N is now the most popular option for its all round problem solving capabilities and super fast drying times (which is what makes it tricky to apply).

thank you - i had heard of this stuff, applying anything to the whole ceiling is going to be tricky!

might search to see if i have any oil based undercoat knocking about still!!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back