Fire Damage, removing soot and redecorating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a small fire in my front room which has left the ceilings/plaster cornices/walls covered in dry black soot. I've tried to remove as much soot as possible whilst dry but was wanting a bit of help with what products/methods to use before repaint. The plaster cornices have quite intricate designs so are going to be a right pita removing all soot.
Anyway, any ideas guys before I blast away and make a real mess?

Sponsored Links
Sponge hot water and washing up liquid as a degreaser. If that doesn't work there are proprietary degreasing products available like savogran. When all dry apply a thinned undercoat of gloss or the modern zinsser equivalent. The best solution I found was to keep painting until the stain doesn't come through. You might need more than a few coats of paint.

Blup

Thanks for the responses...

I'm ploughing onwards and have been scrubbing the soot with sugar soap. My main concern are the plaster cornices which still look pretty stained. I have scrubbed as much soot off the cornices as possible and intend to brush on the Zinsser primer into all the details and then spray on some quality emulsion. Not sure if one of those cheap sprayers will spray the primer effectively, perhaps someone has some experience. Also, can anyone recommend a good budget sprayer?

Same for the walls. Some staining will remain but I intend to just prime the stained areas and re emulsion.

Is this the way to go??

Sponsored Links
I guess a question I need to ask is how clean do I have to get the cornice prior to priming and painting?

I've got smoke/soot damage to the intricate plaster cornice which goes around my lounge ceiling. I've been scrubbing away for the last few days and managed to remove a great deal of it with sugar soap. I'm planning to put Zissens primer on it before spraying new emulsion to stop the bleed. The adjacent room has very minor smoke damage where the cornice has been very lightly affected. Is it necessary to fully wash this cornice or can I prime over the very light dusting of soot.
The same goes for the walls and ceiling. I've managed to remove much of the soot but its not 100%. Do I have to prime both the walls and ceiling to stop any bleeding through or will it be ok if its not very much??

Hopefully, many of you guys have experienced this problem and give good advice.

Thanks in advance...

You wont remove everything, letting it dry out and gently sanding tne surface to give a key to the undercoat is as important. Then leave at least 24 hours to see if it comes through and needs a further base coat.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back