Advice on ceiling rose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We bought a lovely flat a few months ago and are currently going around fixing things up. In the front room, there's an old ceiling rose - which would be great except that there are layers of paint on it that make it look really ugly.

I'd like to replace this with something looking better, as we've got a great new light fitting to go on it.

My questions are:

• Is it possible to remove the paint?
    I've used paint-stripping gels before but I can't see how it would be possible to scrub the paint off without damaging the plaster underneath.
    If not, how should I go about removing the rose from the ceiling?
    It's quite possibly original and we have no access to the upstairs (it's another flat). I really want to avoid having to re-plaster the ceiling, as that would mean replacing all of the cornicing around the room; not to mention we don't have anywhere else to put what's kept in there!
    Finally, if we get a new one, what's the best way to attach it?
    I've got good reason to believe that the plaster underneath is not very good quality (plasterers in the bedroom had a big problem skimming old artex in there) so I'm hoping that I can find the joists by tap-testing then screw a new one in. Should I use adhesive as well?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sponsored Links
The paint can be removed with chemical/gel/water based strippers but is time consuming and fiddly. You will need to use something akin to a firm toothbrush to get into the detailing. It could be worthwhile, as it is surprising how much detail will have been filled with paint.

If the rose is original it could be fixed with casting plaster and possibly the odd screw. You shouldn't cause too much damage to the surrounding area if you remove it carefully and using a slightly larger new rose will cover any rough edges. The new rose can be fixed with adhesive (coving adhesive/ gripfill etc) but it is wise to add a couple of screws into the joists for added security.

Water based strippers will indeed help to remove the paint yet for the time spent on doing the work to replace would be the best option.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Sorry it took a long time to reply to this thread.
Thanks so much for all the advice, in the end we went with PeelAway 7 and it worked a treat! On the paint layers at least....

Turned out that under about 3 layers of paint was some kind of thick grey layer, putty-like when damp, which was obscuring all of the detail. Several weekends worth of patient work with a damp cloth, an old toothbrush and a sprayer cleaned most of it off - what was left dried white - and boy am I glad we decided to keep it!

(light fitting from John Lewis)

Thanks again!

good for you and kudos for taking the time to do such a good (and demanding) job.

regards

Very well done.

There's nothing like keeping and restoring original features in old houses.

Have seen many grotty looking roses like yours was in old houses which also could probably be restored to reveal such fine detail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back