Replacing ceiling rose in artex ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I need to replace my existing ceiling rose, as it's an affront to decency.

You should hopefully be able to see it at the bottom of this page, because I have just sold the light fitting:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4438667982&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

It is an artex-type ceiling ina house built in 1990.

My thinking is that it should be possible to chisel round the existing rose to remove it, then replace it with a slightly wider rose and then tidy up and merge it into the ceiling with some kind of plaster.

Is this possible?[/url]

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
My thinking is that it should be possible to chisel round the existing rose to remove it, then replace it with a slightly wider rose and then tidy up and merge it into the ceiling with some kind of plaster.

You would be right...and you can use polyfilla instead of plaster to sort the edges out.

Have a look at copley moulding range of rose's...they do them in a hard foam with a smooth finish...impossibl to tell the difference between them and real plaster...easy to fix to, use a tube of no more nails.

Or if its as tacky as the one you aleady have ...it should stick itself! :evil:

Thanks for the reply.

Ans what about the removal of the existing rose from the artex? Have you done that before, and do you have any tips?

I have visions of ruining the whole thing and having to get the whole ceiling re-plastered (although at least then I could get rid of the bloody artex).

Sponsored Links
Use an old chiesel to chip away around the edge first...you may be lucky, they may have just screwed it on and filled around the edges..work inwards towards the centre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back