Bosun mitre saw, any good?

Scrit's values are pretty good regarding how much you can pack it out - I've only gone up to about 155mm, and I think I could get to 165mm before fouling on the guard.

I also think you could go to maybe 210mm if you remove the rear fence. I've just had a look at mine and this has several bolts holding it in place and looks like you can remove it fairly easily. So long as you still clamp the wood to the base I don't think this would foul anything. But I've not tried it and don't know how safe it it is.

Sponsored Links
Ok mate, thanks for all the information. That is a good saw for the price but i think the 707 would probably make easier using for the longer crossctus generally :)

hi i payed £230 for a electra beckham mitre saw , on line. its better than the dewalt 707 and lighter , cuts 11,1/2 inch width

i have to say i bought a bosun 10" sliding compound mitre saw brand new about 5 years ago and the only problem i had with it was the laser broke (just stoped working one day) but my granda was able to fix it again and its going like new now again other than that its never missted a beat and im still working away with it, was even using it today great job.

Sponsored Links
I brought the rexon sliding saw with the 8" blade from screwfix . Thinking about it I must have had it around 7 years now. I've never had a problem with the accuratcy and if I recall it cuts close to 10" wide or more.
On the downside the field coil went on it and that cost me £34 to repair a couple of years ago and the guard that covers the blade is plastic and stopped working so that I've had to remove it completely to use the saw. It also seems noisy in comparission to some I've used.
I've used the larger dewalt with the 12" blade , 708 or 718 is it ,and found it to be a good machine although well above the op price range. I'vee also used the 707 but have found that whilist they are good they can suffer if not looked after.

A couple of years ago I bought one of the Rage sliding saws. It’s very good and I use it a lot. I can certainly vouch for its durability, but its accuracy... well, that’s a different story. Unfortunately it’s just not that accurate and almost certainly not a saw I’d buy again.

I know it’s not a recommendation, but for me it’s one to steer clear of.

Hope it helps

I've got a Rage too. It's light and easy to use. With a bit of practice and setting up it is pretty accurate for most jobs. I'd buy one again if this one broke.

I've got a rage as well. Mine is mainly used for cutting unistrut, so it doesn't really matter that it's not the most precise cut in the world. For the money it's spot on.

i have to say i bought a bosun 10" sliding compound mitre saw brand new about 5 years ago and the only problem i had with it was the laser broke (just stoped working one day) but my granda was able to fix it again and its going like new now again other than that its never missted a beat and im still working away with it, was even using it today great job.
Congratulations! You must own one of the few which weren't siezed by Trading Standards for being electrically unsafe........ (yes, really!)

I'vee also used the 707 but have found that whilist they are good they can suffer if not looked after.
That applies to ANY sliding compound saw. If the DW707 is so poor why is it that so many building firms and joiners own them? A colleague on my current main project is using his 15 year old DW707 on a daily basis. It lives in his van and therefore does about 12,000 miles a year plus being dragged out and used. It doesn't seem to have suffered in any way from this sort of life. On the other hand I've yet to see a Rexon on a job site, even a private one where 230 volt is allowed to pass. Maybe that says something about the relative durability of these brands.

A couple of years ago I bought one of the Rage sliding saws. It’s very good and I use it a lot. I can certainly vouch for its durability, but its accuracy... well, that’s a different story. Unfortunately it’s just not that accurate and almost certainly not a saw I’d buy again.

I know it’s not a recommendation, but for me it’s one to steer clear of.
Yes, I know. A few months back I was on a job where the main contractor lumbered us with just such a machine. It lasted 3 days until the guard jammed. Exit site agent to Screwfix to get replacement. 2 days later #2 had electrical issues. At that point I went to my van and got out my backup chop saw, a lowly Makita MLS100. Smoother, more powerful, flexed less and was more accurate. That saw cost me £110 or so 4 years back

If the DW707 is so poor why is it that so many building firms and joiners own them? A colleague on my current main project is using his 15 year old DW707 on a daily basis. It lives in his van and therefore does about 12,000 miles a year plus being dragged out and used. It doesn't seem to have suffered in any way from this sort of life. On the other hand I've yet to see a Rexon on a job site, even a private one where 230 volt is allowed to pass. Maybe that says something about the relative durability of these brands.
Yes I pretty much agree with what you've said. I perhaps should have said that in my case the tool was owned by a firm and got out of the stores as and when and so was used (or is that abused?) by many different people. This tends in my experience tend to happen to tools vans and everything else, when it's your own I think you take more care.
I've never seen a rexon on site or for that matter several other makes and I can't help but think the major drawback is as you say they are 230volt machines. If they were avaiable as 110v then there may be a smatering. The other problem with these makes is servicing. Many places don't touch them and pretty much nowhere keeps spares , when the field coil went on my rexon it was out of use for a fortnight :rolleyes: .
Now what I'd really like is a dewalt, bosch or maktia saw in a happy shopper chinese junk casing, would that ever get stolen? :D

Yes I pretty much agree with what you've said. I perhaps should have said that in my case the tool was owned by a firm and got out of the stores as and when and so was used (or is that abused?) by many different people. This tends in my experience tend to happen to tools vans and everything else, when it's your own I think you take more care.
Too true, and one reason I rarely loan stuff these days[/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back