Covering tarmac drive, aggregate bonding, tar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

I have an old tarmac drive that I don't like, it's old, but been laid well, no flaky bits or weeds, but it looks an eye-sore.

I'm not keep on the shiny resin drives, but was thinking I could glue/bond some small aggregate to the tarmac and leave it at that.

Can anyone suggest a product that I could use... presume hot tar would be ideal but not something I could do... is there a DIY option that anyone has used?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Will have a butchers, thanks for that.(y)

Found this on my travels... although it still leaves a bit of sheen... you can add to aggregate and paddle mix.

Bitumen emulsion has been recommended, if heated up... perhaps a blow torch may work?? will continue the reading up.

Last edited:
Did you decide which method you wanted to go with and what were the reults? Very keen to do something similar frankly

Sponsored Links
Haven't got managed to get on with this yet.o_O

A few months ago though, I noticed a drive had been covered with what look like small granite/basalt chippings (10mm guess), these were dropped onto a hot tar base by some contractors, seems to have stayed put, but not sure if you can DIY that?

Haven't got managed to get on with this yet.o_O
Yeah but equally, it's only been 18 months. I'm just getting around to my driveway now, 8 years after the hardcore was laid. Asda delivery guy commented last night, how lovely it was to be able to trundle a trolley over paving, but I hadn't left him much time to enjoy it seeing as it was his last shift before retiring on Saturday.

You can please all of the people none of the time! :)

not sure if you can DIY that?
Mmm, it's not a solution that scales down to typical DIY gear easily. Gas burner under the cement mixer etc

If laying decorative stone chips, how about the plastic binder grid things to keep a thinner layer of them from wandering?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back