Covering up smoke stains on walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just moved into a flat with walls that look like they have decades worth of tobacco smoke stains. I'm on a limited budget and I wonder if an oil-based undercoat as opposed to expensive primers out there would help to cover this mess? Forgive me if what I asked is a stupid question but I'm an amateur and I've only ever painted walls that have been in good condition. I've used oil-based undercoat on wood in the past and it worked well which is why I am wondering now if it would work on stained walls. Thanks if you can help.

Sponsored Links
Sugar soap everything that you can first, then apply a thinned coat of oil based undercoat prior to finishing in your chosen paint finish/colour.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry if this is a silly question but for walls is it ok to use the same oil-based undercoat you can buy for wood/metal? Thanks.

As robbieuk suggested, any oil based undercoat will be fine.

Be warned that it will stink. I have have painted walls with oil based finishes and it almost made my eyes bleed. Ok so I exaggerate slightly but it will stink and take much longer to dry than emulsion or Zinsser BIN (etc). You could add some oxidiser to the U/C, such as Rustins' Terebene which will speed up the curing process.

If you paint the UC before it has cured you might get fish eyes in the finish (or crazing), mind you emulsion is quite thick so you don't have to wait days, but don't forget that oil based paints (can) take months to cure.

Sponsored Links
I'm wondering whether Zinsser Gardz might be worth a try after sugar soaping, rather than oil based paint?

Zinnser is great but can be expensive if your covering a large area.

Were cost not an issue I would have recommended tinted Zinsser BIN as the wall finish, straight over the stains.

I've used it over wallpaper in rooms in the past. You end up with a subtle sheen that is very durable.

Stablising Solution would be cheaper, after washing down the walls, again the smell is strong so have the room well ventilated.

Thank you for everyone's replies. I've decided to use oil-based undercoat as I have a large area to cover so unfortunately I can't really afford Zinsser.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back