Covert 2 Way Dual Gang to 2 Way Single Gang Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I am simplifying the lights in my hallway and looking to covert the current lighting setup which is a 2 way dual gang switching solution to a 2 way single gang solution.

The current setup is:

Switch 1..................Switch 2
|-------------------| |-------------------|
|.L1..L2........C....| |.L1..L2........C....|
|.......................| |........................|
|....C........L1..L2.| |....C........L1..L2.|
|-------------------| |-------------------|

I just want o check to be sure that I can simply connect in the following in switch 1 (and then the same in switch 2):

- Both C wires can be connected to the single C connection on my single gang switch
- Both L1 wires can be connected to the single L1 connection on my single gang switch
- Both L2 wires can be connected to the single L2 connection on my single gang switch

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Why do you wish to do this?
Don't quite get the switch diagram, if you have double gang/2 way switch, I would expect to see gang one with just com, L1 and L2 and gang two the same, not as you have posted.
Is it a four gang switch?

The hall is about 4 metres long, and there are only 2 lights in the hall (one at either end). Its seems overkill to be able to control the lights in such a way in such a small room. Having a switch at either end which switches all the lights on is what Im looking for.

Sponsored Links
Basically at either end of the room i have a switch with 2 Com, 2 L1 and 2 L2, this allows me to control the lights at either end of the hall (with the added complexity of being able to control half the hall).

I want to replace that with 2 new switches, each with 1 com, 1 L1 and 1 L2, so i can still controll the lights from either end.

Blowed if I can see why it's such a hardship to flick 2 rockers at the same time.... :confused:

I just want o check to be sure that I can simply connect in the following in switch 1 (and then the same in switch 2):

- Both C wires can be connected to the single C connection on my single gang switch
- Both L1 wires can be connected to the single L1 connection on my single gang switch
- Both L2 wires can be connected to the single L2 connection on my single gang switch
I take it you've confirmed that both the lights are on the same circuit?

So i did as described above (connected the 2 comm wires from the 2 gang to the 1 comm in the single gang and then the same for the L1 and L2), but now my light is on permanently.

Any thoughts?

My thought is that on one of the switch drops you've got the permanent and switched lives the wrong way round.

I was careful when i took the old switches off the label the wires, so i am 100% sure what was L1 in the old switch is L1 in the new switch.

You had 2 L1s and wires in each. Ditto L2s. On one gang the permanent live was in a different L to the other.

Indeed in each of the switches there were 2 L1, 2 L2 and 2 COM.

In each of the new single gang switches i connected both COM to COM, both L1 to L1 etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back