Covid tests

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a lousy cold, started Xmas day of all days. Thought it wise to test myself for covid, using a kit I've had for 12-18 months.
Waste of time, the sachets of test liquid had almost dried up, the small amount left, put into the extraction tube, was absorbed by the throat swab, so couldn't get a drop on to the test strip.
Anybody had similar?

Sponsored Links
If you tested positive, then what?
Would you have acted any differently than if you'd tested negative?

Yep, my old ones had all dried out. I found using two sachets of liquid worked well enough as did my newer batches.

If you tested positive, then what?
Would you have acted any differently than if you'd tested negative?
I don't see what that has to do with the question, but yes, I would. I'd try to keep my distance from other people, and look out my old masks, and wear one when appropriate.

Sponsored Links
I don't see what that has to do with the question, but yes, I would. I'd try to keep my distance from other people, and look out my old masks, and wear one when appropriate.

Bloody stupid and selfish then, in my opinion.

Whether you decide to go out and spread your coughs, snot, and germs about is dictated not by common decency, but a line on an unreliable plastic tray.

Bloody stupid and selfish then, in my opinion.
OK, maybe I should have said I would stay at home as much as poss, but everybody has to go out occasionally for food etc, and I'm not aware of any laws about it now.
Whether you decide to go out and spread your coughs, snot, and germs about is dictated not by common decency, but a line on an unreliable plastic tray.
So what do you do? If the test is unreliable, do you assume you're positive and behave accordingly? Even if you have no symptoms and haven't taken a test, you might still be a carrier. Do you think the country should go back into lockdown?

I still don't see what your comments have to do with my simple question

OK, maybe I should have said I would stay at home as much as poss, but everybody has to go out occasionally for food etc, and I'm not aware of any laws about it now

Do what you like.

Correct, there is no law about it.

So, what exactly is the point in testing?
As it has no legal basis, is inaccurate, and "everyone has to go out" every now and again anyway.

As to what I do / I'd do, I don't lick or snot on anyone, if I feel that bad, i won't be going out anyway, and I don't bother with tests that are inaccurate and without any legal standing.

When Mrs tested positive last year I went out. Felt fine.
She's had a stinking cold for days and so far I'm fine so I've gone shopping ect.

To answer. If you feel ill and test positive use common sense.
If you test positive stay away from people. Who feels ill and goes partying anyway?

I know a couple of people who have had positive covid tests and symptoms over Christmas and have chosen to cancel visiting relatives for Christmas Day.

I can understand wanting to test

Around my way there is a nasty bug causing lots of coughing etc at the moment as well as covid.

If I test positive I reduce my trips out, don't visit old people and wear a mask shopping. I don't have to by law but it's common decency.

Sinus' has been stuffy for a week or two but that's not unusual, although a trip to A&E recently helped spread the bug into throat and chest, making things worse. Taking cough syrup is a lottery as too much makes my stomach stormy and the Delicate Sound of Thunder is the last thing i need at Christmas. I was surprised to see nobody wearing a mask at A&E as a new strain of Covid is said to be spreading so the NHS seems to be taking a relaxed approach although...

At the same time, COVID cases are rising, notes Dr. Zapata. “I would say the most important thing for people to know is that the virus is out there, as are respiratory syncytial virus [RSV] and the flu,” she says. “Any new subvariant is a sign that the SARS-CoV-2 virus is still evolving; it’s still here with us, and we can’t ignore it.”

Yale Medicine.org

Haven't had a booster jab for Covid or flu this year - and my sinus cleared up with a hefty dose of sudafed combined with a couple of days taking Lemsip in the morning and night, so you tell me if this new strain of the Covid virus is something to worry about.

Sponsored Links
Back