Bath overflow pipe chewed by rats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been having problems with rats. They chewed the black overflow hose pipe. See link to similar item. I had a someone put black tape, over the holes. I know it was a quick and dirty job. The fix worked for more then 18 months.

It has started to leak again. I have removed the black hose pipe, put more tape on it. However, it is not leaking water. I tested it, by filling it with water. However, when the black hose pipe fitted back, it is leaking water when I take a shower. I am assuming, the hosepipe is making a poor connection on the plug hole side (or may be there is more rat damage). Hard to tell.

I desperately needed a shower, I decide to block the overflow exit. I blocked the hole, with wet wipe inside, where the overflow pipe would go in and then secured it with black tape. So far for 2 or 3 days it is holding. However, water could burst out and make a nasty flood.

I don't want to call a plumber due to COVID.

Question: Can I just replace the black hose pipe. Are they standard size between manufacturers? I bought, the item as pictured from Wickes. Can just use this black hose pipe from the new one and replace my old faulty one?. Is there a standard sizing?

If that one won't work. Can I use an alternative pipe?

I know the corrrect thing is to change the whole thing, as a set, but i am worried about making a good seal with the bath trap.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Chrome-Plated-Bath-Waste-Kit/p/161896

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back