Removing leaky rusty bath waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Waste was leaking on my old steel bath. When the bath was emptied water is getting out through the overflow holes in the waste and leaking down the thread. The connection between the overflow pipe and the bath waste thread was not good. I have no idea how the black plastic ring is supposed to seal again the top of the thread.

Everything is rusty mess. Makes sense to remove the waste completely and replace? I've never removed an old waste on and old bath before. Already tried to turn it anti clockwise from the top with pliers but they snapped. What is the correct way to remove the waste and what will be holding it on? I don't want to damage the bath and have to replace it.

Attachments

• IMG_7481.JPG
    IMG_7481.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_7483.JPG
    IMG_7483.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 129
Sponsored Links
Makes sense to remove the waste completely and replace?

Yes.

Clean off all old gunk thoroughly and use silicone on the top surface of the washer btween banjo and bath.

I would also use silicone on the underside of the chrome flange rather than the thin washer..

I'm not a plumber but any sink/basin/bath wastes I've encountered are placed loosely in from the top and held in place by the bottom nut. Perhaps yours has a sealant around the top which has hardened over time and stuck rock hard.

Sponsored Links
I'm not a plumber but any sink/basin/bath wastes I've encountered are placed loosely in from the top and held in place by the bottom nut. Perhaps yours has a sealant around the top which has hardened over time and stuck rock hard.
That's what's happened - try a screwdriver through both the slots then yank on it to turn/break the seal - yes, brute force;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back