Waste leaking big time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our kitchen is directly below the bathroom and this morning my wife noticed a brown stain on the kitchen ceiling. I went up to the bathroom, removed the bath panel, closed the plug, and half filled the bath. No leak showing. Opened the plug again to empty the bath and the water came pouring out from the waste onto the floor. Closed the plug immediately. Then saw that there was no rubber washer fitted but simply a thick wad of clear silicone instead and this was hanging loose allowing water to escape. I have decided to replace the whole waste but the problem is that the tap and waste are on the side of the bath against a wall and I have no access to either other thsn removing the bath completely or cut an access door in the bedroom wall and fit a new waste system through there. I think that simple pop up waste with an overflow facility would suit fine but I am not a plumber. Advice needed.

Attachments

• A56A138C-6E11-46B0-BA83-1CDB1AEA5C49.jpeg
    A56A138C-6E11-46B0-BA83-1CDB1AEA5C49.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 76
  • 5A8E190C-DF43-461D-9F0E-1BD79D39C4F7.jpeg
    5A8E190C-DF43-461D-9F0E-1BD79D39C4F7.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It would probably be less hassle to sort out the issue with the current waste.
Can you show a clearer pic of the waste fitting from behind the trap ?
Is it the joint between the underside of the bath and the waste fitting that leaks ?

1. It would probably be less hassle to sort out the issue with the current waste.
Looking at the new pic below, I really think that this part at least is well by its use by date
2. Can you show a clearer pic of the waste fitting from behind the trap ?
Too difficult getting my iPad in the space.
3. Is it the joint between the underside of the bath and the waste fitting that leaks ?

No. In the pic below, the silicone used in place of the washer, is located immediately below the triangular grid. When I turn on the tap with the waste unplugged, the water can be seen from below, running down the outside of the threaded part of the waste.

Have just discovered that the plug release knob is faulty too.

Attachments

• 736B3C14-5250-4A0B-96B3-F2A1C600F598.jpeg
    736B3C14-5250-4A0B-96B3-F2A1C600F598.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 33
Have you tried to tighten the bolt ( in the centre of your last pic) ?

Sponsored Links
Have you tried to tighten the bolt ( in the centre of your last pic) ?
I hadn’t but having just had a quick shower and baling out the water, I gave it a go. The result was that after more turns than I expected, the plug instead of rising to around 4-5mm is now around 10-12. That said, it doesn’t closely when the knob is turned and has to be pushed back down manually. Will have a look at this probleM after snd if I can get the big leak sorted out.

I am still wondering how plumbers get access to replace the overflow and waste on a bath with a side fitting one. Do they remove then replace the whole bath after the repair or replacement has been carried out or do they cut an access hatch in the dividing wall?
I’m willing to try anything to get this sorted out using diy advice.

Last edited:
Can you show a clearer pic of the waste fitting from behind the trap ?
Tried a few and this is the best I can get. Above the trap the waste unit is black with black overflow cable and pipe attached.
Edit: Perhaps the new image below might help.

Attachments

• 06FB8C65-7B3B-4DA0-99FA-15303971A37D.jpeg
    06FB8C65-7B3B-4DA0-99FA-15303971A37D.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 46
  • E73EAF98-436C-4BA9-9798-221B69642A08.jpeg
    E73EAF98-436C-4BA9-9798-221B69642A08.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Then saw that there was no rubber washer fitted but simply a thick wad of clear silicone instead and this was hanging loose allowing water to escape.
Having read similar threads about waste leaks, I now realise that using silicone as an extra seal is not uncommon and that the information quoted from my fist post in this thread, may be wrong. There may have been, or is, a rubber washer in place with the silicone added strengthen the seal. My problemish now is how do I remove the waste to check and replace both washer and silicone?

If you unscrew the central bolt ,the one I previously suggested tightening, the black part beneath the bath will detach. You should then have enough room under the bath to clean it and fit a new seal.
A complete new waste/ overflow combo can be fitted without removing the bath ,but it's a pain in the rear and needs two people !!

.A complete new waste/ overflow combo can be fitted without removing the bath ,but it's a pain in the rear and needs two people !!
Despite the hassle, I’ve decided to have a go at a completely new combo unit and in the ‘Similar Threads’ section below this thread, I found the link below and the item . However, reviews indicate that a better quality combo would be preferable. But which one?

Attachments

• 56420F5E-D2C5-41AB-87F7-752BC47927F9.jpeg
    56420F5E-D2C5-41AB-87F7-752BC47927F9.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 40
  • 909088DA-1276-44A6-A706-B8AA685EAF31.jpeg
    909088DA-1276-44A6-A706-B8AA685EAF31.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 43
The linked item is a basic plug and chain job ,and ok if that's what you want.
If you want a style similiar to what you have now ,Screwfix code 27022 is as good as any. Around £20 ish !

The linked item is a basic plug and chain job ,and ok if that's what you want.
If you want a style similiar to what you have now ,Screwfix code 27022 is as good as any. Around £20 ish !
Thanks for your patience. What I really want is either a good quality plug and chain unit (ie not plastic), or a similar quality unit with a pop-up plug.

If you unscrew the central bolt the black part beneath the bath will detach.
And it did!
You should then have enough room under the bath to clean it and fit a new seal.
The first thing I did after removing the screw, was to remove that part of the waste that was inside the bath, give it a clean and remove the old silicone from around the hole and the plug assembly. Have now applied new silicon and refitted using the screw to hold it tightly in place. When the silicone holding the plug assembly has set sometime tomorrow, I will again undo the black part of the waste below the bath, clean it thoroughly, removing any old mastic and the refit using silicone on the rubber sealing ring. The following day I will reconnect the trap and test. Have I missed anything out?

Not really ,but you could have done it all at the same time. I have never found the need to use silicone below the bath ,the seal is all that's required ,and if I were you ,I would use a new seal.

if I were you ,I would use a new seal.
If I can get one tomorrow when I’m in town I will try. Problem is that I don’t know the make of the waste and the rubber seal is, for want of a better word, bespoke. Regarding the use of silicone, in this particular case, I can understand why it was used. Although I cannot see it, I can feel that the thickness of the plastic bath material surrounding the waste hole, is not uniform but drops from around 5mm to about a thumbs width of about 3mm plus. The excess of silicone used, has successfully filled this gap for a number of years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back