Repair to split bath overflow hose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to make a repair to a split in the flexible overflow hose on a bath. Ideally I would replace the hose but access to this is very difficult as the tap end (and waste end) of the bath are positioned into an alcove area. It is therefore impossible to reach the point where the hose joins the overflow connection. Evidently these items were connected to the bath prior to the bath being installed (about a year or so ago). The split in the hose is actually lower than the trap hence the leak occurs every time the bath/shower is used.

Is there any type of tape that would seal a leak on corrugated overflow pipe? Alternatively could it be cut where the leak is and be attached to a washing machine waste connector with two jubilee clips?

Any advice appreciated? ;)

Sponsored Links
Maybe some kind of self-amalgamating tape from Halfords for car hose repairs :idea:

I thought of that but the trouble is that the hose is made of that rather thin, flimsy, glossy textured white plastic. I may be wrong but it doesn't seem to be beefy enough to adapt to s-a tape. :confused:

Could try an epoxy putty, but not sure how well it'd seal an overflow hose...worth a try.

Sponsored Links
I will have the s-a tape and epoxy putty on hand. Alternatively does anyone think that the washing machine waste connector proposal with a couple of clips and some silicone would be a possible method of fixing?

Why dont you undo the front of the overflow then drop off the whole thing.

Drop a piece of string though and use that to pull a new overflow up.

Refit cover and Robs your mothers brother.

Are you sure it's split? Some of them has a silly spiral (helical, strictly speaking) rib round the pipe so you had to use a compound to seal them.

I don't think s-a tape would work, but LS-X maybe with a bandage wrapped round, probably would

CastlePlumbingandHeating said:
Why dont you undo the front of the overflow then drop off the whole thing.

Drop a piece of string though and use that to pull a new overflow up.

Refit cover and Robs your mothers brother.

Not so easy, Castle, the overflow is also the control for the pop-up waste and I would prefer not to disturb this unless there really is no choice.

ChrisR said:
Are you sure it's split? Some of them has a silly spiral (helical, strictly speaking) rib round the pipe so you had to use a compound to seal them.

I don't think s-a tape would work, but LS-X maybe with a bandage wrapped round, probably would

Yes, the split is clearly visible, albeit using a torch and a mirror. I think the LS-X and bandage is most likely to provide the remedy. Thanks alot for all of your help, chaps. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back