Coving issue with a difference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had a loft conversion which meant we had to nick a bit off the box room for the stairs. They’ve rebuilt the stud walls which means that it’s now a couple off feet further into the room.They left the coving insitu and just cut it off at 90 degrees and butt the new wall up to it. This means that I’ve lost the internal corner (of the current coving) to which i need to ‘re-cove’ into as the coving now buts up to the new wall with no mitre, if you see what i mean. So how am I going to scribe the new length into the corner as I’ll have to take into account a 45 degree cut but also scribe the curve of the existing coving. A bit difficult to explain really! Can anyone advise how I’m gonna cut this complex shape as it not your usual 45 degree cut so a cove mitre is not gonna work. Any advice please as its doing my head in !! Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can cut the new piece of coving so it butts up against the existing one, but rather than having a nice 45 degree angle, start with 90 degrees than you need to cut it using a thin serrated blade to match the contours of the existing piece that is stuck on the wall. It will slide in from the side and butt up against it rather than meet at a 45 degree joint.

I would take a smallish piece of coving and hold it at 90 degrees to the piece you plan to use and scribe the shape onto it - maybe practice on off-cuts first so you can offer it up to the existing piece and assess how well it fits.

You can fill in the little gaps that will probably happen this way with some plaster of Paris.

That's how I've done it in the past anyway - less hassle than pulling the existing piece down, but still a bit of a pain.

Thanks UncleB, just had a look and its given me a good few pointers. Much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
It's the same technique used when cutting internal corners on skirting board

Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it , just practise on scrap coving first it can take a while to get your head around it (took me a while!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back