Coving on un-true corners..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

well started some coving the other day to find the internal corners/angles would not meet up...flush at top (ceiling), 10mm gap at bottom (wall) - so thinking it was my cheap mitre block we bought a proper coving mitre tool from wickes for £3 - its great..but result was identical..it was then I realised the walls are not true - two corners are GREATER THAN 45' and other two are LESS THEN 45'

what do you do when confronted with this issue....? ...anyone?

i tried marking 10mm at the bottom and cutting it flush to the tip (make more of an angle to meet it) but when you do that the tip and bottom are closer in too each other than the opposite corner your fitting too and means that only the top (ceiling) or bottom (wall) can be flush with the opposite one and the other not...

are there special corner pieces that can be fitted over the top to hide the discrepancy..?

im not filling it cos your gunna see it and it would look pooe..

help!

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
This is the method I have used on some of the unequal corners in my house:
Offer up a short piece of coving along each adjacent wall and draw a line top and bottom to mark where they intersect. Measure the angle, set up the mitre saw and cut. A cheap mitre block won't give you the variation you need to make a decent job.

thanks, so what your saying is I need a PROPER mitre and something to measure angles with so I can get the angle, divide by 2 and use that on each cut?

a proper mitre saw that lets you dial in an angle and lock it on?

Basically, yes. Ultimately it depends how much you want to spend. I just used a mitre saw that can be bought for £20-30 and adjusts to varying angles. A standard mitre block or coving tool will never cope with anything other than perfect corners and they rarely exist.

Sponsored Links
Basically, yes. Ultimately it depends how much you want to spend. I just used a mitre saw that can be bought for £20-30 and adjusts to varying angles. A standard mitre block or coving tool will never cope with anything other than perfect corners and they rarely exist.

as im finding out the hard way hehe

yeah and the angle tools is about £15 on ebay...so £45

I will see what she says, she may just pay someone too do it, how much would that cost you reckon for 3.5x3.5m dining room?

thanks again for your help :)

Nothing wrong with filling joints carefully using the fixing adhesive as well as lots of sandpaper and patience.

Just finished my daughter's living room with chimmney breast and wall / ceiling angles that had me tearing my (grey) hair out!

Ended up getting it as close as possible and gently filled out the external angles etc over a couple of days so now you would be hard pressed to see the joints.

I used the Magic Mitre which I purchased after a disastrous attempt at cutting some coving. The high cost of buying pre-formed corners encouraged me to seek out something to do the job and this fits the bill.

Works pretty well for me and I'm happy with the results after having completed four rooms with coving, one of which was a bathroom with six internal joints and two external joints....... saved a fortune compared with preformed corners!

Forget about using the force, patience is the key.......... ;)

I`ve had more trouble with mitresaws / magic mitre thingys :evil: Back in the day the covers/artexers used a simple template that laid flat onto the curved face of the cove - then cut to it with a craft knife , Maybe Brit. Gypsum still have that template - it was just a paper shape you then copied in something a bit stiffer , like thin perspex .

You can still get that paper mitre template Nige. Whenever i have coving to put up, i go onto the British Gypsum website, type in Coving Template, and then print off the one you're looking for onto A4 paper. Just cut round the shape with scissors, then as Nige says, trace onto something stronger/flexible, and you're ready to go. It gives you all the details on it, eg, internal/external mitres, left hand curve, right hand curve etc.. Ther was a time when our local Travis P gave out mitre templates, but just download your own now as and when required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back