Polystyrene coving... External corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am real frustrated, I have been using polystyrene coving and have reached the only external corner of the room, the internal corners are pre preapared so it was not a problem, however I am getting nowhere fast with the external corner, I cant find anywhere that sells them, so I have been following the guides for mitreing.

I have spotted a problem in the mitre stage, the guide says that the long edge usualy goes to the ceiling, however the coving I have is the other way round. The short edge goes to the ceiling and the long bit onto the wall.

I have tried everything to get the corner mitred, but i cant get it right for some reason. Anyone have any sugestions?

The coving is 'Autumn coving'

I am at a loss what to do next, and the project is at a standstill untill this corner is done.

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
I am going to do my dining room coving this weekend but I am still looking for coving (i think i am gonna use wickes) But anyway onto your problem.

Im guessing that when you cut your external corner you are still getting a gap at the rear or front of your joint??

If you have cut both pieces of coving at 45 degrees and you still have a gap then the wall in question cannot be 90 degrees or square. I suggest you leave one up and cut one side of the coving slightly over 45 or slightly under untill you get it fairly right.

Also can you fill the gap with adhesive or something??

Hope this helps I am not a decorator but fitting some coving/cornice in my kitchen last week and had to make lotts of 45 degree cuts some i had to fiddle with too.

Leigh

Sponsored Links
If you use the template i mentioned you wont go far wrong!

This has worked thanks a lot, I can now get on with the rest of the project as the coving is now finished.

Thank you for all of the help and advice, I am no longer pulling out what little hair I have left :D

Thanks again
Mark

Are you putting your coving in the mitre block with the bottom/wall edge up?

This always puzzles me & after wasting a couple of feet I usually manage it.
Have you not got the instructions for cutting them any more?

And yes, you can use filler for the gap, I have & after letting it dry well & sanding it, it's hard to tell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back