Coving or tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I have just gutted my bathroom and I was thinking of putting coving around the ceiling and tiling up to it. Can anyone tell me if this is recommended and if so would it be better to tile first and then add coving or the other way around.dont like the thought of the tiles protruding out further than the coving.
Many thanks
Bas

Sponsored Links
Bas - nothing wrong with putting coving in a bathroom although some here think it a bit 'old fashioned' (I don't!). Equally, no coving looks fine. It really all depends on how the wall/ceiling interface looks after tiling - what does the top row of tiles look like, are they the same height, does it appear to slope (remember walls & ceilings are rarely plumb or level). If it looks 'out' apply coving - this can be 'adjusted' so you can 'loose' the slope. If the tiles look straight & level so you're left with a nice sharp corner at the top of the wall then don't bother with the coving. But then again, you just might like coving - so put it up.

Don't use that nasty expanded polystyrene stuff; use Gyproc plaster cove (or similar manufacturer) or, as a fall-back, some of that high-density plastic stuff (I've not used this myself but others here may have).

Tile whole wall then apply coving IMO.

Thanks Symptoms.
What you advise makes sense. I'll tile first and see what it looks like but the old fashion in me draws me towards coving. As you say if the ceiling is out you have got some adjustment there.
Many thanks
Bas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back