Coving/Polystrene

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, quick question do current building regs allow coving to be installed in properties? I have read that exposed Polystrene is not allowed but as far as I was aware this was for suspended and Polystrene ceiling tiles.

Sponsored Links
I looked for guidance on this my self to no avail.

I suspect that the polystyrene is illegal is an urban myth, often asked on landlords forums and the advice seems to be removal is best practice.
Back in the 70's when I was putting them up the advice was that the early ones were a fire risk but the "new" ones were self extinguishing. The main objection seemed to be not that they spread the fire but a fireman wasn't keen on it dripping down their necks.

I have fitted the lightweight coving in properties it has got to be ok if every diy shed sells it. I would perhaps avoid it in kitchens where the heat from a hob might damage it and of course never paint it with gloss paint.

As I'm having a bit of a slow Sunday I just did a quick test for you involving a propane torch and a scrap length of Wickes lightweight polystyrene coving I've had in my garage since I did my living room last year.

It did burn, but it was very hard to get it to take hold initially. The coating it is wrapped in needs to be held in the flame for about five seconds for it to melt away, and then the burning flame is limited to the exposed area and was pretty weak - not at all how polystyrene normally burns which produces a pool of molten plastic. I put it out after about ten seconds as it didn't seem to be self-extinguishing. It may have been the coating that was keeping the flame alive, although the exposed core had 'bubbled' when I examined it after cooling. It was not a scientific test by any means so don't take my results as anything other than a simple observation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back