Coving required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a simple ceiling coving (concave polystyrene) 100mm drop & 85mm projection. It is quite old. The room is being altered & I need about 3 or 4 metres more of this coving. I cannot find it anywhere on the web. Has anyone any ideas please as to where I might be able to get some?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link. I hadn't thought to look at types which are for uplighting - didn't think they can be just fixed up to the ceiling. If I can't find anything exact, I think that will have to do.

To answer your question - no, the measurements are as I said - 85 x 100

127 is measured across the face, and if you calculate the 85x100, it comes to about 131, so they may not match perfectly, but if you do a complete wall, (even if you have to take an existing bit off) then it may be a close enough match. Otherwise you need to bite the bullet, and redo the room. If you just search for 127mm coving, you may find a similar match, and you could cut a small piece off the ceiling, and take it round the shops with you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help. I'd no idea the measurement was across the face. I've removed a bit. It is plaster & very well stuck on - which makes me even more reluctant to bite the bullet! Measured straight across the curve of the face it is 107; measuring the curve itself is 117. So it doesn't seem to match anything I've seen - guess I'll have to go round the shops & try to find the nearest match unless anyone on here knows of anything that might match. All help gratefully received.

Okay, if you can't cut a small piece of, then get a piece of card, and trace it out; then it's just case of hunting round the shops. You know the coving better than we do, so we can't help much more I'm afraid.

not sure why you're trying to save polystyrene coving TBH. (Not very helpful I'll admit)

OK - thanks all. Having taken a bit off, it's Gyproc & I've found the right one that I need. Another query. The Gyproc adhesive instructions say it is workable for 40 minutes. The coving is quite heavy. How do I keep it in place while it sets? Do I have to pin it (which I saw in a post somewhere)? Or can I use some other adhesive - such as No More Nails - which sets much quicker?

Also it will be going onto new plaster. Can I just size the plaster or, if not, how do I seal it?

PVA the new plaster, and pin it to keep it in place. It'll pin easier to the ceiling, but you'll still need a few in the wall. No more nails still won't set quick enough. Alternatively, if you have a couple of spare bits of wood, then you can place one underneath the coving, and then push that up in place with the second one to support it whilst the adhesive goes off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back