coving

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm no decorator but have put a lot of gyproc coving up in my time.

Just wondering people's thoughts on the look of coving these days and if any of the pro decorators actually fit coving or is it a plasterer's job?

Thanks for any responses.

edit. elrobbo, please don't sabotage this topic. eg. don't comment. Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
One of the big advantages of coving is that it helps to hide dynamic cracks. Much like the use of architrave to hide the plaster meets door frame cracks.

Personally I am happy to put coving up but I guess many decorators don't want to get involved in dealing with it, and fair enough, it is more the realm of a plasterer than decorator

i personally like the look of coving even though it's apparently out of fashion.

edit, not sabotaging! :mrgreen:

It is true that most forms of coving other than the more decorative plaster mouldings are becoming a thing of the past, and any pro dec would have no problem with regard to their application.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Well, I trained fairly recently and I was taught to mitre coving and fix it. Have not yet had to do any, though.

Same here i was taught to install coving when i went to college but that said it does seem to fall into the plastering bracket more than P&D.
I personally like coving and really like the decorative cornices and mouldings you see in period properties. What i don't like is when you see these period decorative mouldings/cornices put up in modern properties. I've fitted quite a bit in the past but not done so mch over the last couple of years, it will just come in and out of fashion like everything else in this game.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back