Cowboy builder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone give me advise I paid a deposit to a firm to replace my old conservatory in October 2020.he had done nothing for 4 months despite promising it would be finished by Christmas. Quoting every excuse you can think of.after threatening him with cancellation and asking for my deposit back.he finally turned up and took the old conservatory down and did 3 metre of footing.since then he has done nothing using every excuse from the brick company burning down to every illness under the sun.then blaming the brick suppliers for not delivering bricks.when I asked for the name of firm he wouldn't give it to me as he said they wont talk to me.so he has left me with no conservatory live wires running across the floor and sockets getting wet.finaly told him I had had enough and wanted my money back which he has refused .I am a pensioner so don't have the money to get it put right unless I can get my money back.any help would be very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Sounds like small claims court is the only option?
http://www.consumerrightsexpert.co.uk/dealing-with-cowboy-builders.html

In future, if you ever manage to get some more work done, never pay anything up front. Ask for a weekly payment schedule / work breakdown of the job, and then only pay when each stage is completed.

Get the electrics fixed first - you might be able to find a local electrician that will make the circuit safe - be sure to tell them you have been scammed by a cowboy builder who has stolen your money, if they feel sorry for you you should get a good deal! An honest electrician should not charge much to make it safe - and whatever you do in future, ensure the builder does not do electrics themselves. Or plumbing.

Report to your local trading standards office

Blup

Do you mind me asking how much deposit you paid

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay answering these posts my phone went down.i paid 2500 up front he said he needed it to order the conservatory. Think the small claims court is my only ootion

Yes and if you try the Police they might already have a case or a file open - Sometimes you can weight the situation up and find that you'd be happier and freer sooner by just making a report and cutting your losses and forgetting about the situation

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back