Threatening builders

Hi

Help! I have changed my mind about a builder who was unreliable and told lies. He was due to start work, he did not turn up, the deposit varied, the price changed. no written quote given, nothing signed and no money was exchanged. He states that he has ordered the materials, and is now threatening to dump them at our house.

Where do we stand?
Well most materials won`t hurt outside :idea: other than timber. I`d call his bluff and let the gear be placed sensibly in your front garden / then pay him on production of a Merchant`s reciept ..And even give him a £ score for his trouble . It`s a kind of reverse psychology that really foxes people . Dumping it with the intent to harass you, is a different matter.

Sponsored Links
yes it does.

any materials will still be the property of the builders merchants unless paid for, so simply phone them up and theyll probably be more than happy to come and get them.

yes it does.

any materials will still be the property of the builders merchants unless paid for, so simply phone them up and theyll probably be more than happy to come and get them.

He's right, it's called Theft by finding. But I think there may be ways to get your sticky paws on them and keep them. Join a law club seriously because of law clubs I have saved considerable digits.

I'm not a lawyer, this is not legal advice (I think you have to say this with this sort of post).

Also (I believe this is true - CHECK WITH LAW CLUB) your perfectly entitled to put them in a great big shipping crate on your land so he can't collect them, breaking the lock on your shipping create would be criminal damage and possibly breaking and entering.

Sponsored Links
Also (I believe this is true - CHECK WITH LAW CLUB) your perfectly entitled to put them in a great big shipping crate on your land so he can't collect them, breaking the lock on your shipping create would be criminal damage and possibly breaking and entering.

Blooming heck! OTT comes to mind.
If you're really going to move them why not move them into the back garden to avoid theft/vandalism etc.

....is everyone missing the obvious here?

if I had been told my services were no longer required why would I then pay for materials (losing money) and then "give" them away (costing me even more money) - this would be a very expensive "revenge exercise"

In other words I think it is highly unlikely that you will be getting any unexpected deliveries!!!!

....is everyone missing the obvious here?

if I had been told my services were no longer required why would I then pay for materials (losing money) and then "give" them away (costing me even more money) - this would be a very expensive "revenge exercise"

In other words I think it is highly unlikely that you will be getting any unexpected deliveries!!!!

Unless the builder had already arranged the delivery of mats, to be supplied COD. Which would be more annoying for the supplier than client but would still cause a degree of inconvenience and possible anxiety from worrysome customers who didn't know 'the rules of the game'

Easy Deluks. If the builder has arranged delivery on a COD basis, the house owners refuse to pay for it. At the end of the day, they didn't actually order the stuff. Next time the builder tries to order anything from the builders merchants, he'll be the one with problems.

Easy Deluks. If the builder has arranged delivery on a COD basis, the house owners refuse to pay for it. At the end of the day, they didn't actually order the stuff. Next time the builder tries to order anything from the builders merchants, he'll be the one with problems.
Of course, them's 'the rules' that the average punter might not know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back