Cr*pp*ng myself about plastic pipe connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted our new bathroom last year, and sure as with all DIY plumbing work there were a few minor leaks which got sorted out soon enough.

I used the push-and-twist type plastic pipe connections throughout and since I made them up last year there have been no problems.

We are about to switch from a gravity fed system with a Baxi back boiler to a combi boiler system (Worcester-Bosch 30/37 CDi) and I am hoping that any increased water pressure won't cause the pipes to blow off, destroying our lovely new kitchen.

Our showere people said that the working pressure will be considerably higher, but I can't see how the boiler can increase the pressure of the cold mains water beyond its natural pressure. I understand that the HW would be pumped instead of gravity fed, however so I can see how the HW pressure might be increased.

I'm quite happy with the water pressure througout our house and I really don't want any higher pressure than is already there - our shower already almost knocks me over in the morning with the pressure of the water!

Is it safe enough to use plastic piping with push-fit connectors on a combi system? - there's now no way I can get to the connections without distroying either our lovely new bathroom or our beautiful new kitchen ceiling.

I was hoping to site the bioler in our utility rm feeding directly into the 15mm plastic pipework I fitted in the loft above our utility rm ceiling - hence my new connections are the first thing the H/C water will have to navigate through before finding its way into the rest of the system.

Is it the case that if these connections have lasted this long - one year old now - then they should be okay long term, or should I continue to lose sleep over it.

cheers,
Guy

Sponsored Links
I know the feeling over the last few years - I have reconnected all the radiators in our house via solder ring connections (not worried) but the final connection to the radiator is via a compression fitting (as you do) and I am just about to get my traditional boiler / tank system replaced with a combi boiler and I am also worried about the additional pressure causing the compression joints to fail.

I just wondered how many plumbers here have fitted a combi boiler with the increased pressure that it bring only to then find a number of existing joints started to fail ???

A lot of people use plastic on a lot of heating systems without problems,as long as it is done correctly and joints made properly then you shouldnt have a problem.

The hot water will not be pumped :eek: It will be working at just under the cold mains pressure. You cannot have a pump of any sort with a combi boiler. Should not cause any leaks if ok now.

Same to other poster, no probs with compression fittings on valves. At worst you may have to tighten 1/4 - 1/2 turn.

Sponsored Links
If you used hep20 pipe and fittings i have been reliably informed by an ex technician from hepworth the pipe and fittings will withstand 70 bar!!! thats the typical burst pressure they achieved at the factory.
Steve

tekkiesteve said:
If you used hep20 pipe and fittings i have been reliably informed by an ex technician from hepworth the pipe and fittings will withstand 70 bar!!! thats the typical burst pressure they achieved at the factory.
Steve

Would that be at increased temperature as well or within normal operating temp. ranges?

Just to make you feel good, I had a push-fit connection blow out and flood my kitchen yesterday. One of the only bits of plastic I haven't replaced in my new house so far due to its position behind kitchen units. Needless to say I'll be replacing it in copper when I repalce the (now ruined) kitchen units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back