Crabtree ELCB 30 amp

Sponsored Links
Yes they are fitted inside the shower (is this a modern no-no?)
I dont know,
as long as it is in a watertight enclosure, and not as you say being used as a voltage rccb connected to earth.
It just seems big to get it in the shower thats all.

The Crabtree 30 amp in question is voltage operated, however I must stress that its function is not one of safety but to protect the heater element in the case of water supply failure.

Barry
How does it do that.
Or do you just turn it off manualy

Hi 333rocky333
Sorry for the delay in answering you query but for some reason my cp system placed the DIYnot topic reply notification into quarantine.

A live and neutral from the supply are input into the ELCB.
No earths are connected to the ELCB which has been slightly modified so that the yellow test button is permanently depressed
The switched output from the ELCB is connected across the heating element which is enclosed in a perspex block thus the whole thing is transparent
The neutral end of the element is also connected to an internal micro-switch which is normally held open by the water flow
In the event of water failure the micro-switch closes thus transferring the neutral to the E terminal on the ELCB thus causing it to trip out, and saving the element from damage.

Normal Operation
The toggle of the horizontally installed ELCB is drilled enabling a chord to be secured. The ends of the chord appear externally on the LHS and RHS of the shower. Thus tugging the RHS switches the heater on and the LHS switches the off.
Cheers
Barry

Sponsored Links
Hi spark123 and 333rocky333
No I didnt construct it or modify it. They were manufactured by Dolphin circa 1970 they were easy to recognise because of the large mirror on the front. Quite a few of us in the family including my brother bought one in the early seventies. They were very expensive but as mine is the first to have gone wrong (march 2008) how can we quantify "expensive"
Will post a picture tomorrow
Thanks
Barry

Barry. Having done a quick skim through, I am a bit worried!

You say the VO ELCB is inside the shower - you mean within the shower casing?

You say it is used to protect the shower element - how?

Does this unit have an earth connected to it?

Hi securespark
Thanks for your concern and yes the ELCB is within the casing, sorry for this I should have been more specific (am posting a photo tomorrow please log-on), no the ELCB dose not have any earths connected to it. Unfortunately as a chemist, and not a professional electrician I cannot describe its function any better than I did 5 posts previously. I appreciate any input you wish to make.
Thanks
Barry.

Hi
spark123 and 333rocky333
Image of Dolphin Shower Components circa 1970
Note the black neutral strap from the element to the internal micro-switch (RHS just below the water out) Also can be seen the neutral out (Red top right hand corner) when the microswitch closes because of water supply failure. This is connected to the E terminal on the VO ELCB

Dsc00053Modified.jpg

Close-up of the Heater Block
Thanks for all the help
Barry

Dsc00058-1.jpg

Thanks for posting the pic

Must say never seen anything like that before!

SBW - Have just sent you a message regarding my ELCB, Had leccy company come round today to replace mine for a proper isolater so it is now available if you still need it for your shower

Just for everyones info, i phoned up edf to fit an isolator, and they said the tails would need to be updated 1st, took about 2 weeks for them to come (this morning) and he asked what i wanted doing so told him about the elcb, so he updated the tails from 15 to 25mm i believe, removed a henley block, but he wouldn't touch the elcb, so fitted an isolator before it, coming out of the meter, and he positioned it so my existing tails from the consumer unit would reach the isolator when i removed the elcb, so have just finished that job, so almost there now, just require a new meter, and he has reported a fault with my cutout and neutral box to central networks who should come and replace them soon, then i can get the fuse uprated to 100A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back