Crack above patio door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking a buying a house. I have noticed a crack above the ground floor patio door. Are these sorts of crack quite common? The crack is not huge.

Sponsored Links
Could well be settlement, very common and nothing to be worried about.
Can you supply photos, inside and out where the crack is?
Then a more informative response will be given.

Thanks. I don't have access to take a picture now as I don't own the property. I guess the home buyers survey would have information on it.

Thanks. I don't have access to take a picture now as I don't own the property. I guess the home buyers survey would have information on it.

unless its obviously a small crack, it will probably say there is a crack and that a structural survey is required and realistically the report probably won't be worth the paper its written on.

Photos of the crack and of the whole elevation, the width, depth and length of the cracks posted back on here would be more useful, the agent/owner shouldn't mind if they want to sell the house.

Sponsored Links

unless its obviously a small crack, it will probably say there is a crack and that a structural survey is required and realistically the report probably won't be worth the paper its written on.

Photos of the crack and of the whole elevation, the width, depth and length of the cracks posted back on here would be more useful, the agent/owner shouldn't mind if they want to sell the house.

Does the report not cover structural details? So what do they actually cover?

Unfortunately homebuyers surveyors have more disclaimers than you've had hot dinners! As mentioned, if its a tiny hairline crack then its probably nothing to worry about and a homebuyers survey will probably say as much. Any worse though and (as its a homebuyers survey not a structural survey carried out by a qualified structural engineer) the hombuyer survey surveyor won't be covered/qualified to say if its ok or not and will fall back on the old "structural report required" advice. Same as if he measures some damp with his useless meter, he'll stick in the "requires damp survey" advice. Same as if the felt beneath the tiles is tatty he'll say needs replacing when many older house's have no felt at all and are watertight.

Unfortunately homebuyers surveyors have more disclaimers than you've had hot dinners! As mentioned, if its a tiny hairline crack then its probably nothing to worry about and a homebuyers survey will probably say as much. Any worse though and (as its a homebuyers survey not a structural survey carried out by a qualified structural engineer) the hombuyer survey surveyor won't be covered/qualified to say if its ok or not and will fall back on the old "structural report required" advice. Same as if he measures some damp with his useless meter, he'll stick in the "requires damp survey" advice. Same as if the felt beneath the tiles is tatty he'll say needs replacing when many older house's have no felt at all and are watertight.

If I go for a builing survey, do they cover the structure of the property? As that is the main thing i am concerned about.

If I go for a builing survey, do they cover the structure of the property? As that is the main thing i am concerned about.

Home buyers surveys dont go into massive detail on structure but will give a general idea of state of repair and maintenance. If they spot anything significant they will suggest you get a structural survey for whatever..

Just take a few photos on your second visit ..

Thanks guys. I will try to get a picture, but thing is I have already viewed it twice and offer has also been accepted. So not sure if I will get a chance to view it again.

I was hoping that the Home buyers report will address the issue, but I can't afford a full structural survey on top of the report. Would it be a good Idea to go for a structural survey in the first place?

Thanks guys. I will try to get a picture, but thing is I have already viewed it twice and offer has also been accepted. So not sure if I will get a chance to view it again.

I was hoping that the Home buyers report will address the issue, but I can't afford a full structural survey on top of the report. Would it be a good Idea to go for a structural survey in the first place?

If they want to sell you the house they'll let you back in. Get some photos before you start worrying.

Course they will let you view again.. just use the excuss you want to measure up for furnature (something you might wanna do anyways)

Thanks guys, I've been to view it again and have taken pictures and made a short video. I'll attach both, please let me know what you lot think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back