Crack above patio door

Sponsored Links
It looks to me as though the crack is as wide at the top of the fault as at the bottom.

This could mean that the wall has shifted slightly outwards thus allowing the arch to settle. Arches don't often tend to fail but their restraining walls can move outwards causing the arch to weaken.

The problem is exacerbated by a weak fault spanning upwards from the arch peak due to the lack of half bonding from the brick joint arrangement.

Is this a major problem? and is the property structurally unsafe as it is? and what would I need to do to fix the problem?

Sponsored Links
The doors may have been replaced in the past and the arch was disturbed. From the quick glance in the video it looks like a timber centre has been used over the doors as an infill. The brickwork may have settled now, and as noseall stated it could only need a re-point.
You could just get a builder/bricklayer to look at it and give you a price.
Ideally with photos, one of the whole flank would be usefull as well as the arch and its abutments.

The buyer's survey should notice the crack. Your offer was probably 'subject to survey'. You might then make it a condition of the purchase that the vendors get the arch fixed and signed off by a registered builder or BE - they get the mess and the expense. The vendors probably won't want to be bothered and you can start negotiating a drop in price. Agree on three quotes from builders and drop the price by the lowest quote. You might allow the vendors to nominate a registered builder for one quote. The mortgage company will probably insist on it being fixed within a few months of purchase.

The property is already below market price and I knew it needed work and I don't mind minor repair on this crack. Just want to make sure what sort of cost would re-pointing involve? Isn't re-pointing a cosmetic thing, so would it be structurally sound without doing anything?

I get that and I would get it sorted as soon as I get the property. What I mean to ask is that, is this not the sort of issue that would make the building unstable? As in building needing under pinning etc.

As for re-pointing those cracks, I assume we are talking in hundreds rather than thousands?

Whether the building requires underpinning or not would depend on whether the cause of the crack was a failure in the foundation.
You are not talking about thousands for the pointing, unless you get the wrong builders in.

My guess is that the house is standing on clay. The warmer and wetter weather we get these days causes the clay to move - and with it the house. Cracks appear when debris falls down the crack and can't move back - so the crack gets wider.
I'd buy it a without much of a second thought. It just needs re-pointing. Can't see much of the arch but if it is complete and undisturbed it's not a structural issue.

There could be a number of reasons for the crack.. mostly no-one will be able to instantly tell you the cause not unless is glarringly obvious (ie failed lintel etc).

You may have to go the route of home buyers survey / structural survey which may end in the suggestion of crack monitoring, which is basically putting a crack monitor (two pieces of plastic with a grid and cross on) and watching the movement for about 6-12 months. Then it can be seen if the crack moves at all, if it moves seasonally, if it is foundation related (so moving in one direction only) and so on..

What i would advise is check if the crack goes internal to the property, if it does then you should get a structural survey done just to be on the safe side. Bear in mind it may take upto/over a year to ascertain the cause of the crack and you might want to factor it into the property sale as a risk item before then.

(sorry for slow reply but i dont log on here at weekends much ish)

Thanks guys for all your replies. I got a structural survey done on the property and here is the verdict.

Rear Elevation:

a) Diagonal joint cracking extends left to right from the top of the arched patio window opening, to the bottom centre of the bedroom window opening above.
b) Minor diagonal joint cracking at the top centre of the arched bedroom window opening.

Internal:

Rear bedroom.
a) Significant distortion to the door opening.
b) Deflection of the floor locally to the right hand partition.
c) The floor slopes visually to the left.

Front bedroom:
a) Distortion to the door opening.

General:
The first floor partition at front and rear do not coincide with ground floor walls and are thus supported on the timber-joisted first floor structure, which spans from front to rear.

Roof Void:
a) The roof purlins do not gain support from internal walls.

Conclusion:

The dwelling is not affected by settlement or subsidence.

The external cracking and internal distortion is a result of the weight of the front and rear first floor masonry partition bearing on the timber floor joists which support the partition over the front and rear living room.

At the front, the distortion is slight and just about acceptation. At rear, it is excessive and is causing on-going cracking to the rear external wall.

Recommendations:

1) Take down the right hand partition to the rear bedroom (prop the ceiling as necessary)
2) Locally, take up the floor boards, insert new twin joists beneath the partition location and level the floor.
3) Build a stud partition as a replacement for the masonry one.
4) Repair external cracking by installing “helifix”

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back