Crack above patio door

Now i'm not sure if the recommendations are actually "recommendations" or something I should/must get done.
Would it be best to re-negotiate the price and what sort of reduction should I try to get?
What does this mean "Locally, take up the floor boards, insert new twin joists beneath the partition location and level the floor." Does that mean from front of the building to the back or just under the new partitioning wall?

What if I don't get any work done, would this cause long term damage and could this de-stabilize the building.

Sponsored Links
Could anyone give a rough idea of the costs involved? The partition wall is not load bearing wall (Just double checked with the structural engineer). So basically just need a masonry partition taking out and replacing with stud partition and installing a couple of new joists under the new partition. Full length of the partition would be about 7 feet max.

Costs vary greatly in the Building trade, so it's difficult to give even a rough price over the forum. The surveyor has seen the job and should be able to give you some idea.
I would guess a firm would be charging about 5 grand to do the work which includes levelling the floor and fixing the brickwork.
It would be a good idea to get 3 estimates in writing to use as a bargaining tool with the price.
If you buy the house and get the work done, the cheapest option would probably be to use a couple of tradesmen off site, who could recycle some of the unwanted site materials to help the environment.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response.

The process of sale is at solicitors stage now. I am meeting the solicitor tomorrow to get the searches started. How should I re-negotiate the price? Through the solicitor or call the estate agent again?

I would go back to the estate agent with the survey and any estimates that you have for the work. It is quite normal to do this after the survey. The agent will then contact the vendor and see what the response is. It is of course up to the vendor whether or not the price is adjusted, but you still have the option to pull out before incurring solicitors costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back