Crack below DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

On digging my foundations for extension found a corner of my wall is wet and a crack of 1.5 meter above DPC is visible with gap of 3mm. The problem is the Gully located above DPC has been leaking (no idea how long). I have in the house for 35 years. The leak is fixed.

This constant leak has caused this problem. What is the best solutions for this problem. This problem is priority before start building walls. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
A leak can cause a lot of trouble. one of my relations had a broken gully taking the bath waste for 20 years or so, washed away the subsoil --> subsidence ---> great cracks --> insurance claim --> underpinning and rebuilt front wall of house.

May be an idea to have a structural engineer with expertise in the question to come and have a look. Maybe if you call your home insurance co and say you have discovered a drainage leak undermining the house they will send someone suitable.

This may be a very convenient time to have it fixed.

On the other hand, if you commission it yourself without telling the insurance company, it will avoid having the dreaded "subsidence" black spot placed on your house's records.

If your sure the leak was the cause (most likely), i would check the soil quality below the existing footing where the crack has occured. If its still solid then do some crack stiching round the corner. 3mm isnt that bad.

Static said:
If your sure the leak was the cause (most likely), i would check the soil quality below the existing footing where the crack has occured. If its still solid then do some crack stiching round the corner. 3mm isnt that bad.

Hi "Static"

As usual thanks for your rapid response. My house is built on clay. I have checked area around the gully. Clay is soggy in some parts more so around gully but hasn't washed away. Given time it will dry off but I am not taking a chance. I am going to underpin the affected area.

I decided to investigate deep therefore I have excavated around the gully. The leak I thought I had fixed yesterday isn't fixed. The gully is in two parts. Main part is like a toilet pan. The top part is supposed to locate into a spigot.

The gully is not level. That could be the leaking area. I can't believe it wasn't installed level. Over time with the leakage it has moved. It also has a hairline crack in it. Top part had separated from the gully it was gushing out. Thats what I tried to fix yesterday.

It is a constant leak. The answer is a new gully but should it be clay or plastic. How do you crack stitch.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
A leak can cause a lot of trouble. one of my relations had a broken gully taking the bath waste for 20 years or so, washed away the subsoil --> subsidence ---> great cracks --> insurance claim --> underpinning and rebuilt front wall of house.

May be an idea to have a structural engineer with expertise in the question to come and have a look. Maybe if you call your home insurance co and say you have discovered a drainage leak undermining the house they will send someone suitable.

This may be a very convenient time to have it fixed.

On the other hand, if you commission it yourself without telling the insurance company, it will avoid having the dreaded "subsidence" black spot placed on your house's records.

Hi "JohnD"
I spoke to architect this morning. He suggested same as you to underpin the affected area. He is coming out tomorrow to see me and the problem. Thanks for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back