Crack in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a crack which has developed in my ceiling, under the neighbour's washing machine, which vibrates terribly (yes I have complained). Anyway, is it possible for this crack to be repaired? It's quite thin, and if it's sanded down, reskimmed and painted over, I fear it's just going to reappear after a certain time. But I'd like to have something done as I'm hoping to get the building insurers to pay for it to be repaired, and hopefully some pressure on my neighbours will then result.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is this a plasterboard ceiling, (a long straight crack) or a lath and plaster ceiling?

I would be using some jointing tape, the paper type, and rake the crack out, smear a nice layer of jointing compound apply the tape over the top and smear out the compound, then feather it out 200mm or so either side, sand back, another coat, sand again and then paint!

I would do as john says but screw and/or nail either side of the crack beforehand or it will just blow again.

Sponsored Links
mac391...

what do you mean by:
"I would do as john says but screw and/or nail either side of the crack beforehand or it will just blow again."

Would you be able to explain what you mean a little more?

You just put a nail into the ceiling either side of the crack?

Thanks,
Chris

He is assuming the crack is running down a joist. When ever I have seen cracks forming they happen where the board runs perpendicular to the joists. if you gently push up along the crack you can feel the ceiling flex up between joists if thats where you crack lies. You can try and locate joists and screw up into them either side of the crack, if the crack is running with a joist you can screw either side of the crack right along the joist untill your hearts content.

I would do as john says but screw and/or nail either side of the crack beforehand or it will just blow again.

Whilst the advice given is good, we don't know of this chap's DIY ability and so it could be a little reckless.

We assume that you're in a flat, therefore PLEASE PLEASE don't just go hammering/screwing into your ceiling unless you absolutely know what is above it, the last thing you want is to end up screwing/nailing up through a water pipe supplying your neighbour's washing machine, or into an electrical line causing lots of expense/damage, possibly injury.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back