Crack in freshly-plastered ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the ceiling plastered in my spare room in April last year as part of a DIY renovation - https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=&t=1757711

Just noticed a large crack in the ceiling.

Difficult to get a good photo of unfortunately - it's very obvious from certain angles and goes over half way across the room.

TzG5I9m.jpg

I did the boarding (12.5mm boards straight onto the joists) and a plasterer did a skim inc the curve.

Did I do the boarding wrong? Was the plasterers mix not correct? Or is it just thermal expansion / contraction?

Not planning on contacting the plasterer but would be interested to know for the future.

Before paining (I let it fully dry before painting for a long time)

jxAP9mh.jpg

Before plastering

XPFqq19.jpg

My plan to fix is to sand and fill with polyfilla a couple of times until smooth and then paint it and hope it holds up.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem in one corner of a bedroom ceiling the crack was about 4ft. Had the plasterer out and he filled and smoothed it with jointing compound - a few moths later it failed again.

I decided the best option was for me to have a go!

I used a bladed scraper to make a wide surface scrape out of the plaster just a millimetre or so deep. Then using jointing compound, filled and smoothed+the crack, then pva’d the whole scrapped out section, I stuck that jointing tape that is like a plastic gauze over it, followed by jointing compound to fill and finish off.

That was a year ago now and no sign of cracking. However, I also went into the loft to ensure there was no movement in the ceiling joists - I couldn’t feel any but did bind a length of timber to each of the joists in that section, just in case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back