Crack in pebble dash brick wall where extension joins house

The crack could easily pull off a bit and not exactly follow the line of the blockwork. I have seen jobs done where the bricklayers just butted up the blockwork up on both skins without tying in. Probably thought the render would cover it up.

Sponsored Links
Spoke to the owners via estate agents and they seem to be convinced that the crack is old movement and that the surveys were a waste of time. We want a drains survey that the engineer advised in case a split pipe is causing movement. We have asked the sellers to fix any repairs to pipes if the survey reveals anything before we proceed with the purchase. Surely they should agree if they are confident that there is nothing wrong with the extension as nothing will show up and they would pay nothing.. They seem to be quite upset that it has gone on this long. Are we being reasonable?

All a bit OTT, if you ask me! I think you should buy a nice shiny new build. The drains are not the cause of this crack. Grind it out, create a proper expansion joint. There you go just saved you a load of time and money! Thats just surveyors covering there behinds!

Thanks for the reply. This does seem to be the general consensus about the crack, but with no prior knowledge of these things its good to have somewhere to search experienced opinions. We will proceed with the purchase and get a proper expansion joint put in. How much will this work be roughly?

Sponsored Links
Any estimations for an expansion joint, including taking off the rendering and putting back? Would we need to put the expansion joint on the inside also?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back