Vertical crack in the brick wall joining with the extension or base movement? Need help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently, I have bought a house. I have a huge /long vertical crack in the brick wall where the house joins with the extension, any thoughts or knowledge of this type of crack please?
Many thanks in advance!
The crack in the brickwork is about 2-3 cm wide and very long. Would it be a good idea to ask a strucutural engineer to look at it Or is this trouble in the fixing?
I have asked many people around.
Someone gave me a recommendation about inject the metal strip connect all the brick together and then do plaster job as normal
Some one told me that to advoiding the movements and viberations (my house is next to the main road) I should underpinning the concrete to the base of the extension and then fix the crack later. I dono what to do please give me any advice.
Or if you are a profesional and would like to join in my project. Please contact me cause I have a huge refurbishment for this house that I have bought. The estimate of the refurbishment around 25~35 thousands pounds among 3 months
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• D83123AE-5658-4EE1-89D8-67E2A065405D.jpeg
    D83123AE-5658-4EE1-89D8-67E2A065405D.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 484
  • A5C63D4A-0A0F-4A4C-B541-CE7EAF9BFC2E.jpeg
    A5C63D4A-0A0F-4A4C-B541-CE7EAF9BFC2E.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 462
Sponsored Links
A picture from much further back may help the experts to understand what they are looking at.

Actually, the previous landlord has the survey already but it was made by ine of his friend surveyor to make it on the market.
I was too fool to believe in that :( all is done and what happen is happended now I just know I have to fix theses :( please help me.
The pic just the brick wall to connect w the extension. This side is not ok but the other side is ok and nothing happen. I dono how come it has become like this or in deed of the reason.

Sponsored Links
It is a common place for a crack.

Generally the cause is because the house and the extension are on different foundations.

And modern blocks and plaster crack easily.

Get your own structural engineers report.

It's s common place to crack, but you need to know if it's just related to build quality, or if it's a one-off or ongoing movement.

Don't do any repairs until you know the cause.

To late now, but you can never rely on anyone else's building survey or any such report. The person preparing a report needs to be working for the person who is going to rely on it.

Completely agree with "woody" above.

How was the vendors survey presented to you?

Imperative your own funded report is now obtained.

In the conveyancing system was there any mention of the crack and if so was there any mention of how long it had been in existence?

The vendor is duty bound to inform you of existing known defects however large or small [at least up here in the far frozen north]

In the same disclosure I am sure there is a "tick box" to inform the purchaser of the visual evidence of cracks and potential subsidence??

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back