Crack in stone fireplace Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have recently started to knock out my fireplace, have taken it back to the top most lintel and noticed a large crack running through it, got a bit panicked and put up a couple of brick supports to slow my heart down a little. On closer inspection I can see soot over the lintel and inside the crack itself so I presume it has been there for a while (the fireplace has been unused for at least 12 years). The crack appears to be all the way through the stone, the dimensions are 68 inches long, 11 inches wide and 5 inches deep into the fireplace. The crack is 5mm wide and hasn't changed in 24 hours.
From what i can find out easiest solution would be to fix steel plate to the underside/back
Here are a couple of photos, any advice gratefully received
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
I should of said opening up my fireplace, I have taken out two smaller fireplaces and got it back to the largest opening, hence the lintel that is in the photo, I intend to put a log burner in.
I would like opinions on whether I need additional support to this lintel because of the crack in it. In other threads i have seen that many cracked lintels are OK to leave as they are in no danger of falling due to the weight of bricks above the lintel that is embedded into the side walls, giving a counter weight/lever effect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back