Inglenook fireplace stone lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have just bought a 360 year old stone built house in peak district in need a lot of restoration work. It does have two inglenook fireplaces but it is covered up with disgusting 60's surrounds so I have removed the wallpaper and plastering above it to find the original lintels and to my glee they are still there!! One of them are in perfect condition, the other one has a horizontal crack which is about 4-5mm wide nearer to the side (not in the middle) I assume it has been there for years?

The lintels I assume is gritstone (it was painted over with dark brown stuff I hope it can be removed!!!!), it is 12 inches tall and 60 inches wide but I don't know the depth until I have actually removed the fire surrounds. Due to the crack is it safe? After a look on the net most say just ignore it?

Sponsored Links
Have just opened up the fireplace... I had a look at the chimney... errr it definitely needs lining! anyway I am not sure if the lintel is able to support the weight of the chimney above it and I can see a iron bar running across just behind the lintel from the end to the other end which is surprisely in good condition and I wonder what is for, it is part of the chimney support along with the lintel?

And please point out any potential problems too :)

Please see the photos below to gather what I meant:

View media item 56058 View media item 56059 View media item 56057
Many thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back