Crack in wall and sagging bedroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some advice on an issue I've seen in a Victorian terraced house I have been considering buying. It's in need of modernisation throughout and the most concerning thing is in the front bedroom of the property, where there's a large crack in the wall and a sagging floor.

What might be the cause of this? There's a bay on the front of the house and the roof of that would be around where this crack is, and I wasn't sure if it might be related. Appreciate any opinions! Matt

Attachments

• crack on wall.jpg
    crack on wall.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 82
  • sagging floor and crack on wall.jpg
    sagging floor and crack on wall.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 85
  • front of house.jpg
    front of house.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some advice on an issue I've seen in a Victorian terraced house I have been considering buying. It's in need of modernisation throughout and the most concerning thing is in the front bedroom of the property, where there's a large crack in the wall and a sagging floor.

What might be the cause of this? There's a bay on the front of the house and the roof of that would be around where this crack is, and I wasn't sure if it might be related. Appreciate any opinions! Matt
Looks indicative of a failed or sagging timber lintel over the bay.

According to your pics, & with limited information, the problem is most probably a failed Bressumer Beam.
In earlier posts I've advised OP's on why they fail & how to fix the problem - search my user name and "bressumer beam" in the search box.

Dont let it put you off buying the house, its a common problem costing, say, £3000 - £4000 to fix the beam, the floor and make good.

Hope you are having a RICS Survey done prior to purchase?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back