Cracks in the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at buying a post war end of terrace ex council house. It is pebble dashed on the outside.

Inside, there are a view visable and to me, disturbing cracks. The main one is downstairs, in the lounge in the front facing wall that joins to the other terrace next door. Runs from ceiling to floor.

2nd of concern to me is in the upstairs bedroom. It runs the whole length of the ceiling (middle of house) from front aspect to back aspect.

Should i be concerned?

Many thanks

Nevin77

Sponsored Links
They seem common and normal for age to me.

There are lots of posts on cracks and where, how, why and when they would be a concern.

How big are the cracks (width wise)? Are there any cracks around the windows externally?

Internal and external. External probably 1/2 inch, internal smaller. They are the original metal window frames from the 30s

Sponsored Links
Is it a steel framed building?? (Check the rafters in the loft arent steel Z or [ sections)

Ok, well next is to find out if they are recent, what caused/causing them and if they are ongoing..
Maybe thing about getting a survey/structural engineer to give the place a survey

rotting wall ties expanding and forcing the horizontal pointing apart :?:Vertical cracks , Nige :rolleyes: :oops:

Wall tie failure is typically horizontal external cracks every 2nd/3rd course.. he said hes got a large vertical crack, and one in the ceiling going horizontal.

The ceiling one is possibly ceiling joist movement or roof sag.. check purlins and how level/secure the ceiling joists are.. the other one at the front may just be expansion, but check how old it is (look at painting/decoration around the crack and see how many layers)

There's no point in employing a structural engineer as he'll have to monitor the property for 12 months to check for movement.

Wall tie failure is out of the question.

Is there a drain in the vicinity that may have a crack and allow the foundations to sink? That is the usual problem. Or are there any big trees nearby?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back