cracked ceiling in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am embarking on re-painting one of our bedrooms and annoyingly it has had a crack in the ceiling for almost 4 years now. I don't think it has deteriorated over that time. Can be seen here:

1682692033322.png

I am quite handy with easifill/Toupret and the sander but wanted some advice.

In the past. I have used a screwdriver to scrape out more of the crack (not this one but a similar crack elsewhere) and then filled, sanded. The crack has resurfaced a few months later.

On one occasion, I used the paper based jointing tape in a similar situation. I then applied easifill. Results were much better.

Since this is going the entire width of the room (around 4 meters), I didn't know whether it would be a good idea to cut a section and see if there is joist support above and then do something...
Unfortunately, I can't access it from above to see where the edge of the plasterboard is in relation to the ceiling joists.

I would welcome any advice you can offer. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I’d really appreciate any thoughts on the above please. Thanks again.

Get a rare earth magnet from a phone holder or eBay. Run along the crack, and the magnet will pick up screw heads if there is a joist above the crack.
Another way is to drill a hole in the crack to find the joist behind it.

If there is a joist I'll ill tell you what to do next.

I'm partway through stripping textured paper from bedroom ceiling.
Looks like it was papered to cover crack or cracks.

If there is a joist above @Wayners , what is your advised fix?
And, same question if no joist above.

Finally, would 2000 grade lining paper be a good call, or just good repair and a good painting?

Sponsored Links
See if there is anything behind the crack.
I'd just poke something through if you're not too bothered about a hole

Get a rare earth magnet from a phone holder or eBay. Run along the crack, and the magnet will pick up screw heads if there is a joist above the crack.
Another way is to drill a hole in the crack to find the joist behind it.

If there is a joist I'll ill tell you what to do next.
I plan to drill a hole in the crack and report back the results. Thanks again.

See if there is anything behind the crack.
I'd just poke something through if you're not too bothered about a hole
Done some investigations and can confirm that the crack runs perpendicular to the joists.
Can you please advise how I should rectify this. Thanks again.

Tungsten scraper. Take 1-2mm off.

Seal with watered down pva.
Fibre Fuse tape cut to width. It's the best tape imo.
Embed the tape in toupret filler.
Fill, sand, fill, sand until smooth.

Won't see a bump from tape as not sat on the surface.

I have had cracks in two particular ceilings develop over the last few years. A survey suggested the roof is not adequately supported and is slowly spreading. We also have cracks in one wall due to bowing caused by the roof.

I'm sure your situation isn't as critical as mine, but I have wondered over the years why repairs to this ceiling kept failing. Now I know why!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back