Crack in ceiling plaster/paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a hairline crack along my bedroom ceiling. The ceiling is textured. It's in a straight line so I assume may run along a plasterboard above or some such. Its been here since I moved in 4 years ago and hasn't got any worse. I'd now like to redecorate the ceiling and room. I would like to redecorate so you cant see the crack and ideally not have to strip back all the texture from the whole ceiling- however I'll do that if necessary. Any ideas/advice much appreciated on how I do this. Thanks! Lynne

Sponsored Links
20201128_143242.jpg

Attachments

• 20201128_143242.jpg
    20201128_143242.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 148
If there is a loft space, or floorboards, above, you could see if the crack is on a joist, or it may be at a right angle to the joists.

If the crack is on the joist, you could fit some screws from below about 10mm from the crack, and screw into the joist. Do this either side of the crack.

If the crack is not in line with the joists, fit wooden noggins from above over the crack, with the noggins sitting on the plasterboard.

You should fix the noggins to the joists.

Then, from below, screw through the ceiling into the noggins, 10mm either side of the crack.

Use countersunk screws, and fill carefully.

Don't use too much filler - it will stand out like a sore thumb.

When it comes to filling artex, less is more.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back