Cracked ceiling plaster near spotlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a loft ladder that unfortunately sits over the top of a recessed GU10 spotlight, so when we had our insulation topped up, the combined weight/pressure pushed down on the top of the light fitting so that it protruded slightly from the ceiling.

I'm not sure the light was fitted particularly well in the first place, looking at how rough/uneven the hole is and how little grip the light has to keep it in position. It also seemed a fire hazard, with a hot halogen bulb with (already discoloured) insulation right over the top, although we tend not to keep the light on for long. It is now an LED lamp so much cooler, and with a jar over the top for protection (because I was short of suitable plant pots!), but that just adds to the weight above it.

Anyway, not only is the light fitting prone to being pushed out each time we put the ladder back, but there is now also a circular(ish) patch of plaster alongside that has cracked and looks a bit of a mess. It has been annoying me for long enough, and now we're probably moving before long so have an extra incentive to get it sorted. However given our outgoings already stacking up I'm reluctant to call in a plasterer if there's something I could do to tidy it up myself.

So, any DIY tips to resolve both issues (photo attached), or do we just have to call in the experts?

T.I.A.

Attachments

• IMG_20210908_165438.jpg
    IMG_20210908_165438.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 247
Sponsored Links
Hi,
I'm just a DIY'er, so feel free to ignore! :)

I very much doubt it, but is that the only downlight?
If it were, I would cover the whole area with a lamp like:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_I...ownlights_Index/Circular_LED_Panel/index.html

A jar maybe better than no protection, but a proper downlight protector would be preferable!

And something to support the loft ladder in its stowed position would help.

The patch of damage next to the downlight looks like an area of skim plaster has been knocked off the plasterboard.
This may happen if an impact has struck the plasterboard from above. This could knock a couple of the plasterboard screws out of the rafters; when the board rebounds, these protruding screws will knock off the patch of skim.

So to fix, remove that patch of skim, tighten up the screw underneath (if that is the cause!), Put some scrim tape over the screw heads and fill the patch with filler.
This might be a bit of a bodge, but should work! :)

I hope that makes sense.

Thank you (again :) @RandomGrinch, you may be just a DIY-er but obviously a more experienced one than I am. :) You're correct that it is one of several downlights, so maybe best to get something like Blup has suggested above just to fix this one.

I'll investigate the plasterboard & screws as your theory sounds plausible. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
...and I couldn't possibly suggest a proper bodge, but 'No more nails' would hold the downlighter in perfectly (just support the lamp until it dries) and possibly even glue the patch of plaster back on with minimal filling!

Only a thought ;)

Good luck :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back