Cracked drain/water in crawl space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening. I purchased a house a few months ago and have noticed a fair bit of water in the crawl space. I wasn't initially sure how the water was getting in but a couple of days ago, I washed out a roller/brushes after using white paint. The water was emptied in the water drain
outside. A short while after, I looked in the crawl space and saw that the same white coloured water was in the crawl space. I have attached photos of the drain where the water went down, the crawl space and wall I think the water is passing through. I have a feeling that there may be a crack in the pipe which is causing water to leak through into the wall and into the crawl space. Has anyone had this experience and if so, what are the best next steps.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20180826_192626.jpg
    20180826_192626.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Webp.net-compress-image.jpg
    Webp.net-compress-image.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 20180826_182159.jpg
    20180826_182159.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 128
Sponsored Links
you have a sort of yard gulley. It looks like a new plastic replacement, unless yours is unusually clean. Older houses usually have these in glazed clay, dark brown. It has a U-bend trap before attaching to a glazed clay pipe, typically a short vertical one going down, then a bend joining to the horizontal underground pipe. Usually the trap breaks, and the socket at the joint. The surrounding concrete is usually cracked or repaired, because the leak washes away the soil around it, leaving a cavity into which the concrete subsides. Left long enough, your house wall will do the same.

Sadly, you will have to break up the concrete and dig it out until you find the break and replace with new. Modern plastic fittings can be joined once you have reached the sound part. It's easier and simpler than you might think, but the breaking up and digging out is quite physical. If you have other gullies, and a soil pipe, going into the ground, they are very likely broken as well. It's quite normal, either where the house has settled into the ground and the pipes have tried to stay where they were, or where the ground rippled during bombing during the 1939/45 Unpleasantness. The clay pipe is totally rigid and has no give to accommodate movement.

There might be a part of the country where these traps aren't broken, but I've never yet been there, and I can see it's not where you live.

Dig it out and post photos please.

Thank you very much, John. I will dig it out and keep you (and anyone else who is interested) updated on the progress..

Sponsored Links
Yes, as John says, you need a new gully.

I would personally use an Osma 4D900 and connect to the clay using a Flexseal AC4000.

or where the ground rippled during bombing during the 1939/45 Unpleasantness. The clay pipe is totally rigid and has no give to accommodate movement.
Those pesky Gerry’s didn’t give a monkeys. Not a single thought for me 75 years later with a leaking drain. No wonder so many people don’t like Hitler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back